PDA

View Full Version : What exactly is the BRAT diet?

Java
10-13-2004, 03:01 AM
DS has been having diarrhea for the past 2 days. He's normally a 3-4 day pooper so to change his diaper 5+ times on one day is very worrisome. He refuses pedialyte (I have to water it down) but will sip water and soy milk. How can I make pedialyte more palatable?

I know what BRAT means: Banana, Rice, Applesauce and Toast

But is that all I feed him all day?? I understand the bananas, applesauce and toast part. As far as rice is concerned, is it just plain white/brown rice? Nothing else?

He's already eating bananas every morning with either Cream of Wheat or oatmeal. He also gets yogurt everyday (either soy or full fat). His meals are pretty varied: lots of pasta, chicken, veggies.... so to cut it down to just BRAT seems drastic to me.

Wouldn't he get hungry??

SeekerMage
10-13-2004, 03:33 AM
If he has had diarrhea for two days then I would suggest going only with the BRAT diet. Pedialyte and water are good but I would stay away from other things like soy milk and such as they can contribute to the problem. Also, the veggies, pasta etc will also contribute thats why they recommend the bland diet. It gives the system a break so it can get all the "yuckies" out. He shouldn't get hungry because its not like you are starving him, he is getting food, just bland food. I would just try and force as many fluids as possible and if it doesnt go away call your ped for more info. HTH

miki
10-14-2004, 12:27 AM
When DD has had the runs, I gave only BRAT plus yogurt. You can read a bit about BRAT and diarrhea on askdrsears.com . I found the explanation helpful. It does seem drastic but it works. The advice I read also said to offer small portions more frequently rather than have a regular sized meal. The idea being your little guy is having trouble digesting so you want to make it as easy as possible. That's also why you cut out the regular things he eats. Fats and proteins are harder to digest than sugars and starch. And fiber keeps the bowels moving but you are trying to slow things down.

jubilee
10-15-2004, 05:59 AM
I always used the BRAT diet before, but I recently read in a parenting mag that docs don't recommend it anymore because it lacks protein. I tried to find the mag or the story online but couldn't find the exact one. I did find this, which is similar- http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/baby/babyills/babystomach/1190017.html I also have seen pedialyte in popsicle form, if that is an option. Hope he's feeling better soon!!