PDA

View Full Version : Sorry if this has been asked a million times . . .

writeleigh
10-13-2004, 11:58 AM
How many bottles of formula/milk do your 11/12 month olds consume in a day? DS is almost one. He is very interested in solid foods and eats pretty well - he joins us for meals and usually eats bits of whatever we're eating (well, along with lots of Goldfish throughout the day LOL). With increased solids, I expected his bottle consumption to reduce a lot more than it has - but it seems to just remain the same. He consumes approximately 48 oz. of formula a day (maybe a bit more or less).

Also, when I take him for his one year appointment next week- will the doctor advise we begin introducing milk to replace the formula?

octmom
10-13-2004, 12:27 PM
Wow! That sounds like a lot of formula, but I am by no means an expert. My DS will turn one on 10/29. He usually drinks about 10 ounces of bottled breastmilk (sometimes with a little formula added if I am short on milk) at daycare, plus I nurse him at lunchtime. So, I'd guess he drinks about 15 ounces during the day, sometimes a little less. I nurse him at home in the morning and at least once after work, so maybe another 10 ounces there. We've been co-sleeping (not at all what I intended do, but we got there a few months ago and its worked out allright), and he will latch on during the night, but I don't think he's really drinking much. That's mainly comfort nursing. So, I'd guess he drinks approx. 25 ounces or so a day, max. And he gets solids two or three times at daycare (bfast, lunch, snack), Cheerios or Kix for snacks, and solids for dinner at home.

ETA: I expect to be told we can introduce cow's milk when DS goes for his one year appointment in a few weeks. I won't quit nursing instantly, so we'll probably phase in cow's milk in bottles and I will keep up the nursing in the mornings and evenings for a while.

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

writeleigh
10-13-2004, 12:36 PM
I know- it seems like a lot of formula to me too (I'll definitely be asking his doctor too). But I do all the things suggested in books, etc. He eats at the table with us, eats until he is no longer interested/full, etc. and seems to consume lots of solids. I think I may have over-estimated the oz. he drinks- it's probably more like 35-40oz a day . . .

JElaineB
10-13-2004, 03:26 PM
I think it sounds like a lot. It was a year ago, but DS was probably consuming 3-4 bottles of formula a day when he was just under a year old, plus 3 solid meals. So 24-32 oz. a day, but most days closer to 24. I wouldn't worry about it too much at this point, since your doctor's appt is next week. They will probably give you the green light to switch over to whole milk. I would recommend doing it gradually. I did that and we had no problems with the switchover (took about 3-4 weeks total), though YMMV. DS did on his own increase his solids intake dramatically once he was switched over completely to whole milk, and I added in 2 snacks to accommodate. He also cut down to 2 bottles of milk a day (16 oz.) which our doc said was perfect. He did this on his own, so maybe your DS will too once you switch.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

writeleigh
10-13-2004, 03:29 PM
Well, that's good to know. Maybe he will adjust on his own then. Honestly, I can't believe he even still likes the taste of his formula now that he's tasted regular food :D

dotgirl
10-13-2004, 06:49 PM
At our 10-month check up last month, our doctor said that DS should be getting about 18-22oz of formula/breastmilk per day. DS takes 3 bottles per day - usually 6oz ones, so he's right within the guidelines. He also eats two meals per day - 1 of infant cereal mixed with water and a whole banana, and then for dinner he has about 2oz of cubed cheese, 3-6oz of baby food (depending on his mood), 2-3oz of veggies, and a handful of Cheerios.

jubilee
10-15-2004, 05:38 AM
When my son turned one his ped said 16-20 ounces a day of milk, but I was breastfeeding so that didn't really effect us then. Once he weaned we found that 16-20 was perfect for him, divided between 4 sippies a day. In the last few weeks, as he's approached 18 months he has tapered back his interest in milk and now drinks only 12-14 ounces a day despite my offering him more. Tomarrow is his doctor appointment, so I can let you know what the 18 month recommendation is later.

writeleigh
10-15-2004, 12:41 PM
Thanks for all the help. Yes, I'd love to know what you're told at his 18 month appointment- just out of curiosity :) A friend who has the same pediatrician says he (the doc) is not big on Cow's Milk, so I have no idea what he'll tell me to do with feeding, formula, etc. My friend breastfed, so I think that's different.

jubilee
10-16-2004, 04:32 AM
Ped said for 18 months milk should be 16 oz. Since my guy isn't wanting that much he recommended extra yogurt (which he already gets every day) or calcium enriched orange juice. Hope that helps!