PDA

View Full Version : Borrowed Medela pump -- what parts to replace?

KBecks
10-13-2004, 04:34 PM
A generous friend loaned me her double electric breast pump, which is going to be a great savings for me. It's an older model, since her daugher is now in first grade.

I understand that I might need to replace some parts on it for hygenic reasons -- does anyone here know what I'd need to do? Honestly, I haven't looked at the instruction manual yet.

Thanks for your help!

KBecks
due 10-18-04

jillc
10-13-2004, 06:38 PM
Hi,

Is it a Medela Pump in Style? That's what I have been using & I borrowed it from my sis-in-law.

I know you're "not supposed to" borrow breast pumps, but we don't really see why it's an issue... Anyway... I went to the Medela website about a month before my due date & printed off the manual & care instructions for the pump. Then I followed the sterilization instructions for washing & boiling the bottles and all of the pump parts. On the Pump in Style, the only things that come into contact w/the milk are: the bottles, the cone things that you hold on your breast, the little yellow valve pieces that attach to each of the cone things, and the little white membranes that attach to the valves. Those are the items that you want to make sure to wash & boil. Sorry I don't have time to look on the Medela site and get the actual names of these pieces right now. :)

I'd take a quick peek at the Medela website. You can also order parts if you determine that you're missing anything.

Can't hurt to make sure you know how to set up and use the pump before the baby comes. You'll be so busy once the little peanut arrives.

HTH,
Jill

sherryh
10-14-2004, 01:00 AM
Here is a link where you can replace the parts to the Medela Pump in Style:

http://shop.nurturecenter.com/reppuminstyl.html

You have the option to add some bottles, as well as specify your breast shield size.

SherryH

sdbc
10-14-2004, 12:47 PM
In addition to simply sterilizing the horn parts and bottles, I'd advise either sterilizing or replacing the hosing. I'd probably just get a new hose.

I'm no expert, but I do have a PhD in microbiology. Here are my thoughts on borrowing or using a second-hand pump:

It's my opinion that Medela overstates the dangers of second-hand pumps in order to increase sales. The fact is that if milk (and bacteria) readily got into the pump during pumping, bacteria would readily multiply there. And of course, bacteria can certainly get into any pump from the environment, so if milk (a decent bacterial medium) got in, bacteria could certainly grow. If this was the case, then no individual should ever use the pump more than one time (I mean one pumping session, ever). If this were true, then the pump should not even be marketable. I would have no more qualms about borrowing a pump from someone I knew than I would have using the pump repeatedly myself. However, I would not borrow a pump from someone I knew to have hepatitis or HIV, nor would I choose to buy a used pump from someone I didn't know (although, in all honesty, if the removable parts were sterilized, it would most likely be fine).

Like I said, this is just my opinion as a microbiologist. I'm not an expert in terms of how the pump functions.

HannaAddict
10-18-2004, 01:31 AM
I borrowed a 1998 Medela PIS on an emergency basis when the supposed hospital grade rental pump didn't work at all!! I used everything from the tubing on out from the hospital issued kit for the Lactina (tubing worked fine) and the yellow valves and membranes, shields, etc. LC at hospital and our ped said no problem with used pump as long as clean tubing, etc. or use new. It was a lifesaver until I could order my own.

stcelia
10-18-2004, 05:21 PM
I found a used Medela PIS at a consignment sale and bought it because the price was so good. Now I'm having second thoughts. There is one part of me that doesnt' want to do anything that could conceiveable harm my baby - even if it is a long shot. And not knowing the previous owner of the pump adds to my anxiety. That said, I also wonder if pump manufactureres overstate risk for the sake of sales.

What you said, about breeding grounds for bacteria makes sense to me. I am not a microbiologist, but from what I recall of my undergraduate microbiology class was that HIV and Hepatitis - probably the two scariest germs of concern in this situation - cannot live for very long at all on dry surfaces. If the internal workings of the pump were doused with enough milk to provide a long-term habitat for one of these germs, don't you think it would also incapacitate the pump?

The BBB authors think it is fine to use a used pump, as long as you replace all the tubes and parts that come in contact with milk. But, I was reading an article on iVillage that really lays out reasons not to use second-hand pumps. Talking about aerosolized particles and such. I'm really at a loss about what to do now.

Does anyone else have thoughts on the subject?

missmelis01
10-18-2004, 06:06 PM
My sister gave me her PIS when I went into labor. I brought it with me to the hospital, and the hospital LC wouldn't show me how to use it because it was used!

I eventually did buy new tubing, even though it doesn't come into contact with milk, primarily because my sister's tubing looked kinda cruddy. Otherwise, I boiled all of the other parts and have been using them for 6+ months with no complaints from my son!!!

Even if you replace all of the parts, you are still saving yourself a bundle.

Best wishes for a speedy and easy labor and delivery. :-)

sdbc
10-19-2004, 10:34 PM
You are right--HIV and hepatitis are viruses, not bacteria.

HIV, in particular, is very short-lived outside of the body. That is why it is only transmissible directly through bodily fluids (sex or blood). I think it is virtually impossible to transmit HIV through a used breast pump.

I don't know quite as much about hepatitis. I know it is somewhat longer lived than HIV (often it can be a food-borne disease, and it is also transmissible via manicures and pedicures with non-sterile equipment). I think it's unlikely that it would be able to contaminate the pump, but I don't know for sure--anybody else know about this?

Yes, as you said, if the insides of the pump were exposed to milk, it would be a hideous breeding ground for bacteria. The pumps probably wouldn't even be legal if that were the case!

I do think that the risks are overstated to increase sales. But still, I just don't personally know enough about hepatitis to use a pump from someone whose health I wasn't sure of.

VELO77
10-22-2004, 03:14 AM
Before reading the following article I didn't think anything was wrong with buying a previously used breast pump, bec I was actively searching for one. But now, I'm a bit apprehensive about doing so. I would rather spend a few extra dollars on a new pump than to risk contamination of MM. Needless to say, I'm still searching for a good deal. BTW, I'm currently using the Avent Isis that seems to be doing the job.

Read on, it's quite interesting.

http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/pumps-print.html

--Verna