PDA

View Full Version : Baby and bottles

ceng
10-14-2004, 08:17 PM
Hi! I'm new here! There seems to be a lot of great advice on this board so maybe someone can help me. My problem is that my 12 week old daughter is refusing to take a bottle. She used to take an occasional bottle without a problem. The few weeks or so she will not take a bottle without crying-alot. My DH tries, my mom tries and my father in law tries too. When she does drink from a bottle, she seems upset and not satisfied. She seems so content after BF. I wouldn't worry but I am going back to work soon and she will be staying with my father in law. I plan to nurse her when I am home AM and PM. So, it is the afternoon feedings that worrry me. I don't want feeding to be a negative experience for her. I have tried lots of bottles and nipples. Any suggestions?

Chelsey333
10-14-2004, 09:30 PM
My ds never took to the bottle and cried thru most feeding until he was 11 mos. Some positions were better than others. If I laid him down on a pillow on the floor and fed him, he did better. Or if I sat on the couch with my feet up and knees bent, placed him in between my knees, facing me - he did much better in this position. Bottle feeding was very stressful for us. I couldn't bottle feed him in public, bec it was so embarassing - bec he would get so upset. Have you tried Dr. Brown's? I never tried those with my first son, but they work well for my 2nd son.

Momof3Labs
10-14-2004, 09:51 PM
Have you experimented with the temperature of the bottle? Try warming the nipple (and you may need to rewarm it throughout the feeding), too.

Are you using EBM? Is it thawed, fresh, refrigerated? How are you storing it and thawing or warming it?

ceng
10-14-2004, 11:19 PM
It is embarassing to bottle feed her in public because she pitches such a fit. In fact,my friend recommended this website after witnessing a bottle feeding. I have tried Dr. Brown's and she is better with them! Thanks for the advice.

ceng
10-14-2004, 11:22 PM
We were using EBM and formula but then switched to all EBM which is either fresh or refridgerated. I haven't tried putting some EBM on the nipple. The botttle is warmed except if we are out where we can't warm it. I will try warming it throughout the feeding. We warm it using a bottle warmer from avent. Thanks!