PDA

View Full Version : This attorney really irked me...re: BF

s_gosney
10-15-2004, 01:09 AM
I was in court last week serving as an advocate for domestic violence victims. Anyway, it's open court with protective orders and divorce hearings all lumped together. I guess one of the divorce cases has an ongoing custody issue with a 4 month old baby. :( The father is wanting to be involved (which is wonderful), but he's wanting the baby to come stay an entire weekend with him (standard visitation for infants here is 3 hours). The mother protested saying that she was breastfeeding and that it would be nearly impossible for her to pump enough for the baby. The father's lawyer proceeds to say something like "Well, if we wait until the following weekend, surely by then she'll be able to figure out how to work the pump..." Her tone was SO hateful...Ugh. I know that sometimes it's good to have a feisty attorney, but why be so rude? AND what ever happened to the best interest of the child?!? I so want to write a letter to her...I just had to tell someone who would understand.

COElizabeth
10-15-2004, 09:06 AM
How sad all around. I have a friend who got divorced when her son was about a year old. She said that when she weaned her baby, that pretty much took away the only reason her DH had to stay.

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
EDD #2, 10-30-04

sdbc
10-15-2004, 02:30 PM
Sad. At least that guy stayed until the baby was weaned, though.

Katia
10-15-2004, 05:06 PM
What a sad, sad story...and for so many reasons. That attorney is obviously clueless about breastfeeding and pumping. Actually, so was I until DS was born, even though I had always planned to breastfeed and had good information about it. It's hard to get the concept of supply and demand until you're actually doing it -- not like this poor woman just needs to turn on a faucet to get things flowing!

The first few months of parenthood are hard enough as it is, even with two parents who are still happily married. I can't imagine how these people must be feeling.

shamrock
10-15-2004, 06:24 PM
That's too bad that the attorney was so rude. It is hard enough just to pump, let alone have enough for an entire weekend away from mom. I hope the parents are able to come to a peaceful agreement.

sntm
10-19-2004, 02:14 PM
How awful! I know on the Mothering site, there are a lot of posts about similar problems. There are a few lawyers that specialize in custody cases where breastfeeding is an issue.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
Breastfeeding 16 months and counting