PDA

View Full Version : Help! I think I may have a low milk supply!

Laurel
10-17-2004, 11:50 PM
I am feeling like such a horrible mother and wondering what, if anything I can/should do about DD’s weight gain.

DD is 6.5 months and was bf exclusively before starting solids a few weeks ago. She nurses about every two hours during the day and no less than every 3.5-4 hours at night. I bf on demand and have done so since she was born.

She was 7.4 at birth and had been in the 15th-20 percentile at every visit since. I had a c-section and there was some concern about her growth early on when she was slow to gain weight. But, my ped and the LC decided that she is probably just on the small side (DH and I are both pretty thin).

Well, at our last visit she was barely 5th percentile, and I am freaking out about my supply! Ped wants more regular weight checks but doesn't seem overly concerned. She did tell me to up the soilds- I'm not sure I agree with that as a way to get DD to gain.

I recently began pumping to stock up a stash for returning to work (only a couple hours per day). When I pump I can only get about 2 oz total! I have a PIS advanced, I don’t think there is anything wrong with my pump. Is this at all normal?

I am now doubting my supply and wondering if it is the cause of DD weight “issues”. I feel horrible and like I should have realized this sooner! I have grown to love bf’ing and have no intention of stopping. I have tried Mother’s Milk Tea, Fenugreek capsules, drinking lots of water...basically all the tricks and I don’t notice a big change. I have never really leaked or had a real noticable letdown.

DD is a very happy baby, hitting all the milestones on time or early and seems to be a very alert and aware child. She was a bit colicky at first, and now I am feeling guilty that it was that she was starving! She likes solids, but doesn’t eat a ton. I have not cut back on nursing since starting solids.

What, if anything, should I do?

Thanks for reading. The women on this board seem to really know what they are talking about so I hope someone has input for me.

missmelis01
10-18-2004, 12:29 AM
I can only imagine how you must feel. I am not sure I have the right answer, but hopefully knowing that somebody out in the vast world is thinking about you will be of some comfort.

My sister had a similar issue with her son. He was consistently in the 25% and then at his 9 month visit dropped to 5%. Her pediatrician told her to also up solids and to introduce whole milk, in addition to continuing to BF (yes, I know babies aren't suppose to get whole milk before 12 months, but her ped felt the benefits outweighed any potential harm...). She too was struggling with feelings of guilt that she had been starving her son, but her ped also said it is normal for BF babies to "fall off" the growth charts temporarily. At his 12 month visit, my nephew was back up to 25%. Whether or not you want to increase solids for your DD, or introduce whole milk is up to you, but maybe it would be worthwhile to see if your DD would even want to eat more.

As far as supply issues, this is where I might be able help. My supply virtually vanished and I had to start from scratch. When my supply first started to dwindle, I too thought there was something wrong with my pump. I tried to rationalize that the pump isn't as efficient as getting milk as my son, but I went to see a LC and she confirmed that my supply was almost gone. :-( I took Blessed Thistle in combination with Fenugreek, measured out 64 ounces of water to drink a day and pumped BEFORE every nursing session as well as after (after nursing, my LC told me to massage my breasts in a downward motion in towards the nipple, and then pump for 2-5 minutes). After 2 weeks, I was able to get my supply back. Stress can also affect supply, like being concerned about going back to work, or your DD's weight.....

Giving more solids to your DD doesn't mean you have to stop BF. But whatever you decide, you should feel great about your happy, healthy little girl. And that is what counts -- not where she is on the growth chart. :-)

jbowman
10-18-2004, 12:53 AM
C--

Big, big hugs!

If the ped. doesn't seem overly concerned and your daughter is hitting all of her milestones, try not to let it bother you...I know, easier said than done (b/c I've BTDT when DD was 9 months--and I was a wreck! My DD is very petite and weighs only 17 lbs 6 oz at almost 10 1/2 months--that's with her clothes on, LOL!).

I would nurse, nurse, nurse. Offer as often as you can so that your DD can get as much milk as possible and continue to stimulate your supply. Continue what you are doing (with the Fenugreek, water, etc), but try eating oatmeal for breakfast and getting plenty of rest. I wouldn't up the solids b/c they are not as calorically dense as BM (a whole jar of baby food--veggies--is usually around 40-60 calories).

And about pumping--maybe you need to change the little white flaps on the PIS? And remember that pumping isn't an indication of how much milk you have.

HTH! Try not to worry!

COElizabeth
10-18-2004, 09:09 AM
It sounds to me like everything is most likely absolutely fine. If your DD was consistently at 15th-20th percentiles for the first several months, I wouldn't worry at all that her being colicky was associated with hunger. I think it's just a fact that newborns are often fussy for one reason or another - gas, reflux pain, overstimulation, etc. If she hadn't been getting enough to eat then, she wouldn't have kept up that growth!

As for the dip in percentiles now, I wouldn't worry too much about that, either. Going from 15th to 5th isn't such a huge drop-off. James has often fluctuated that much or more from visit to visit. Also, remember that the growth charts are based primarily on formula-fed babies, and it is normal for a BF baby to have a different growth pattern and to be on the lower end of the growth charts at times.

Finally, I would not let your pumping output alarm you. I never got terribly good at pumping, so I will let others give you advice about how to increase your pumping output. But I can definitely say that especially if you haven't really gotten into a regular pumping routine, your output doesn't have much to do with your supply. There were plenty of times I pumped for half an hour and got only an ounce, and even though my son is small, there is no way he was getting milk out at the same rate, because he would nurse for 3 minutes and be satisfied!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
EDD #2, 10-30-04

Laurel
10-18-2004, 01:14 PM
THANK YOU to all who answered. I feel a little better now and will be considering your suggestions. :)