PDA

View Full Version : Less nursing = more TV

miki
10-18-2004, 05:15 PM
This weekend we replaced the first thing in the morning nursing with milk so we're down to one session right before bed. I have no idea how to wean this last one but that's another post.

To get DD to drink the replacement milk, she has to be watching a whole Baby Einstein DVD. Then she gets breakfast a little later with more milk. But our DVD in the morning used to keep her occupied while we all got washed up and dressed for the day. I would like to figure out a way to get her to drink her milk without loading her up on TV every day.

How do you work in enough milk in a day? My ped recommended 24 oz. of dairy daily once DD is fully weaned. Even with her nursing 1x a day, that's still a whole lot of milk! She doesn't drink that much with her meals. If I give her yogurt at each meal, she doesn't eat that much else. Is the dairy supposed to be a really big chunk of a toddler diet?

pritchettzoo
10-18-2004, 07:07 PM
Here's Kellymom's take on milk and toddlers: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/toddler-foods.html#cowmilk

Milk (or the equivalent) is a good source of calcium and fat needed for growth, especially brain development.

Anna

Jen in Chicago
10-19-2004, 09:54 AM
We offered it all day long in a sippy cup, and then I learned how exciting a straw can be! Maybe a fun cup of some sort could encourage the drinking of milk. I think Jude would drink anything if I allow him to use a straw.