PDA

View Full Version : Need advise/support regarding BF...

newmommy0403
10-19-2004, 11:29 AM
DS is 7 mo old and has been BF since birth. There is a medication that helps me a lot that I cannot take while BF (or preg). So, it has been over a year and a half since I have taken said medication, and it has been getting harder and harder not to take it. While this medication is not completely medically necessary, i.e. I won't die if I don't take it, it makes my life much easier and gives me more physical strength, makes me less tired, etc. So, I have been seriously thinking about weaning DS to return to this medication. But the decision is really killing me. Everyone in my life, mom, DH, friends, are telling me hey, you've made it 7 months, that's a great accomplishment... and that I should stop. I work full time and pump and that has been draining as well, physically and mentally. DS already gets one bottle a day of formula b/c I can't pump enough for all of his bottles. My milk supply keeps getting lower and I feel like it's almost futile when I am pumping for 1-2 oz and he takes 8 oz per feeding. The return of my period has decreased supply. I guess I need to know how much benefit DS is still getting from BF. He is eating solids well now, so I want to know if the benefits from breastmilk are still really important. I just don't know what to do, so any advise would be appreciated.

psophia17
10-19-2004, 12:34 PM
If I was in your shoes, I would make the decision to do what was best for me - a happier, stronger Mama is much more important for a baby to have, IMHO. BF is best, but you've done an awesome job of going this far, and kudos to you for that.

Good Luck,
Petra

DS - Nathan, 12/29/03

nitaghei
10-19-2004, 12:48 PM
The benefits of BF'g continue for as long as you BF. But the biggest bang for the buck is in the first six months, which you've already done. Having said that, and keeping in mind that I ended up deciding differently (I need meds that aren't BF'g compatible and we're still BF'g), I'd probably wean if I were in your situation. A rested, healthy mom, IMO, is better for your child than an exhausted mom who's also stressing over her supply.

It is hard to give up something as emotional as BF'g. And, sorry to sound sexist, but no man, not even the most understanding, empathetic man, can really understand how deeply BF'g is tied to our own images of ourselves. So, yes, I do agree that you've done a terrific job BF'g so long, especially in view of your problems. But allow yourself to grieve about the decision, if you choose to wean and go back on meds. And then focus on enjoying your child.

Ultimately, you need to decide what is the best for all of you - you, your child, and your DH.

Nita (also a WOHM, still BF'g at 21 months)
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

Momof3Labs
10-19-2004, 12:49 PM
We can provide you with information about the benefits of bf'ing at any age, but will that really help your situation? Believe me, I am a strong bf'ing supporter, but most important is a happy, healthy mom-baby pair. And sometimes formula is the way to achieve that. Your baby will be fine on formula, and will benefit from a stronger, more energetic mommy. Trust me, you'll need that energy in the upcoming months!!

hez
10-19-2004, 01:11 PM
The other mamas have said it very well, but it bears repeating:

1. You've done a fantastic job!!!
2. Choices in feeding your baby can be so emotional, but they've got to be the overall best choices for both you and your child, and for no one else but the two of you.

I wish you luck with your decision, and peace in knowing that it's the right one for you when you've come to it.

lizajane
10-19-2004, 01:29 PM
i an a big BF fan and encourage-er. but i have to say that it really sounds like you have made a serious effort to give your ds 7 awesome months and if you need to make a change, it is OK!! yes, he would still get a ton of benefits from BM if you kept going. but if you need to wean in order to take care of yourself, you are NOT letting your DS down.

missmelis01
10-19-2004, 01:34 PM
Ditto on all of the above! :-)

Be proud of yourself and of your healthy baby boy.

Best wishes.

newmommy0403
10-19-2004, 02:59 PM
Wow, thanks for all of your responses. I honestly thought I would get a bunch of responses telling me I should keep going.

DH pointed out that a healthy mom is what's best for DS, but for some reason I feel so guilty that I would give up BF to do something for myself that's not 100% necessary. But I feel like I'm so exhausted all the time I'm not being the best mommy I could be. It's so true what a PP said about the emotional attachment. It's not just men that don't understand, I think its anyone who has never breastfed. All of my friends who don't have kids think I'm nuts, when I say I actually enjoy BF they look at me funny.

I hate to admit it, but I'm one of "those" people who frown upon people who don't breastfeed, or at least try. So I feel like a hypocrite if I stop now. But I think my body is telling me it's time to let it go. I got less than 1 oz at my 10am pump today... I think the main thing is the emotional attachment. I can't image not laying in bed w/ DS early in the morning w/ him nursing and falling asleep. It will be much harder on me than DS.

Thanks for all of your support. It's so nice to have people to "talk" to who understand.

Becky

sntm
10-19-2004, 03:02 PM
The most substantial benefit is in the first 6 months or so, but there continue to be significant important benefits for as long as you are breastfeeding, particularly in terms of immune system support.

I support whatever decision you make! You've done a terrific job for the past 7 months. If you want to continue breastfeeding, I'd be happy to help in whatever way I can, with suggestions on how to boost your supply, how to deal with pumping when you work full time, etc.

Also, if you are interested, you can PM me the name of the medication you need and I can do some further research on it to see if it is truly a contraindication, as many times docs recommend weaning without much evidence to do so.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
Breastfeeding 16 months and counting