PDA

View Full Version : my babe's weight is barely budging

mysweetboy
10-20-2004, 11:18 AM
We had to visit the doctor yesterday because Charlie has a very bad cough and eye infection. Came home w/a nebulizer and eye ointment and going back this morning. This is his second cold in a month...my poor baby.

On 9/8 he weighed 13lbs 14oz. Yesterday he was 14lbs 5oz (with a onesie and diaper on...so he's even less than that). I thought for sure that he'd be at least 15lbs by now. The ped and I discussed it and she's not worried but wants to keep an eye on it and see where he is at his six month appt. He was at the 50% percentile at 2 months, 25th at 4 months and today's plot shows him dipping below the 25th.

I hope that this is just a case of it being a bad month b/c of the colds. Last week he definitely wasn't interested in bf'ing but took a bottle when I offered it. Could the position of bf'ing make it more difficult for him when he's not feeling well whereas sitting upright taking a bottle is easier? I'm very concerned about him getting enough nourishment. He always seems satisfied but maybe he's just not getting enough.

Thanks,
Lori
mommy to Charlie, 5 months old!

sntm
10-21-2004, 11:06 AM
The illnesses may be having an effect, or he may be plateauing a little early. BF babies tend to drop a growth curve around 6-8 months, as the growth curves were developed based mostly on FF babies who were fed on a schedule, so their growth patterns were completely different.

As far as eating more from the bottle, try different breastfeeding positions to see if you can find one that keeps him from getting as stuffy. Hope he feels better soon!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
Breastfeeding 16 months and counting

lizajane
10-21-2004, 11:13 AM
schuyler went from 100th percentile at 4 months to 50th by 9 months. so i wouldn't worry at this point, especially since you are in such good contact with your ped about it.

fwiw, schuyler hasn't really gained any weight in 6 months. (12-18 months.) he was 26 lbs at 12 mo and 15 mo appts and at his 18 month appt, he was barely 28 lbs WITH all his clothes and shoes on, AND standing up instead of on the baby scale (so i think it is less accurate.) he did grow 3.5 inches, though!

missmelis01
10-21-2004, 01:18 PM
When my DS had his first cold, it was almost impossible for him to BF. His nose was so conjested, he would snot on my boob, and fuss and fuss. :-( My son definitely was more comfortable getting a bottle, so I would pump and give him the fresh EBM.

And as far as the plateau, my son dropped from 75% to 50% between his 4 and 6 month appts. so I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Hope Charlie feels better soon.