PDA

View Full Version : Moms who pump- how "fat" is your milk?

Laurel
10-20-2004, 04:25 PM
When you freeze or refrigerate your milk and the fat separates, what would you say the ratio of “cream” to the thinner milk is? I am wondering, because my milk doesn’t seem very fatty.

COElizabeth
10-20-2004, 05:24 PM
I haven't pumped in ages, but I think it was a relatively thin layer. My guess is that I also didn't get as much hindmilk out with the pump as the baby did.

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
EDD #2, 10-30-04

JacksMommy
10-20-2004, 05:33 PM
It's been a while for me, too, but I have to say that I don't even recall noticing much in the way of cream, maybe just a tiny bit on top. Put your mind to rest on this one, I highly doubt it's anything to worry about...

Laurel
WOHM to Jack, 6/4/02
EDD baby girl 12/24/02

octmom
10-20-2004, 05:44 PM
It varies for me, as does the color of the milk. Sometimes it looks almost a little blueish, like skim milk. Usually there is a layer about 1/4 inch or less (maybe 1/8 inch?) of cream on top after its been chilled.

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

hez
10-20-2004, 06:42 PM
Sometimes it depends on the time of day I pumped. Early morning milk is pretty 'blue', late evening milk is pretty fatty, with variations in between. Also depends on the last time I pumped/nursed. If I'm pretty full, there's quite a bit of foremilk (blue) to get through before I reach the hindmilk (fatty). And then it depends on how long I pump after the really strong streams slow down. The longer I pump, obviously, the more hindmilk I can get out, especially if I get to a second (or rarely, a third) letdown.

So, I don't know if I answered your question fully-- the short answer is, it varies quite a bit.

Laurel
10-20-2004, 09:14 PM
Thanks to all who answered! I think I am in the norm :).

stillplayswithbarbies
10-21-2004, 05:57 PM
it changes with the time of day, the weather, and how long it has been since she last nursed or I pumped.

...Karen
DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/borntobebreastfed2.gif