PDA

View Full Version : New to solid feeding, what utensils?

saschalicks
10-21-2004, 12:47 PM
Hello, yesterday was DS 4 month appointment and the doctor gave us the go ahead to feed him cereal. Needless to say there are a lot of directions due to formula allergies, but I'll deal w/that.

My question to you ladies is what are your favorite feeding utensils? I'm going to Target in a couple of hours and I'd like to know what bowls and spoons you like best. I know the BBB book suggests bowls w/suction, and we got one for a baby shower gift. Should I get more? What kind? What spoons do you like? We have a travel set (shower gift), but I need advice on what you like best. Please help.

TIA

stillplayswithbarbies
10-21-2004, 05:43 PM
in the beginning, you'll be holding the bowl, so you don't need anything special. I liked the spoons that have the rubber coating on them, there are lots of brands.

I'm surprised your ped gave the okay for solids so young. The AAP current recommendation is to wait until sometime between 6 and 12 months. Especially if you have already experienced allergies, you may want to wait as long as possible. If I were you, I would question the ped as to why he is going against the AAP (American Association of Pediatricians).

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html

...Karen
DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/borntobebreastfed2.gif

new_mommy25
10-21-2004, 07:01 PM
We are huge Take n Toss fans. We love the sippy cups, spoons, and snack bowls. If you eat out a lot like we do, than they are great. We would just leave the spoon at the restaurant.

You won't need bowls with suction for many more months, unless you are planning on allowing your DS to finger paint himself!

eb1
10-21-2004, 08:34 PM
You might have already gone to the store...but I like the First Years coated spoons. They turn whitish if the food is too hot. I need to use several spoons per feeding, because DS gets very involved and grabs the spoon from me en route to his mouth. He won't release it until the next spoon of food appears!

At the recommendation of some here, I bought the Nuby bowls with suction at Target, called something like "Indestructible." They seem to suction well on the highchair tray. I bought two, which is enough for now.

My DS is 7 months and I've had him on solids for only a month. Most of the time I do put the bowl on the tray and let him play with the food as well. I figure it's all part of the learning experience for him. If you hold the bowl and don't let your son near it, then you don't need a special bowl.

Also, a favorite on this board for bibs are the Sally Huss bibs at Walmart.

Emmas Mom
10-22-2004, 02:46 PM
We started cereal at 4 months too. Each baby is different. DD was big enough & was ready according to all the "signs". She took right to it & hasn't looked back since. ;) I liked the spoons that told you if the food was too hot as well. And at Target the Nuby suction bowls are the best I've found. They are the "Forever bowls". And like a PP said, you won't really need the suction for a while but they do work pretty well. We have two also. I figure if you're going to buy bowls you may as well get ones you'll be using for quite some time. Have fun! :D

saschalicks
10-22-2004, 07:15 PM
thanks ladies. I did get those spoons that turn white when hot. I saw them and thought what a great idea. It's good to see that so many of you liked them. I just bought one suction bowl, with the intent on seeing how it goes. Thanks again.

hellosmiletoday
10-22-2004, 10:46 PM
I just started and purchased 6 rubber coated First Years spoons and 1 pack of Take n Toss mini rubbermaid-like containers, which has been sufficient for us, and we run dishwasher every 2 days. I currently use swing, Boppy, or my lap for feeding as she is not sitting up.

Mommy to baby girl 5.8.04