PDA

View Full Version : When to start bottle?

cara1
10-21-2004, 10:36 PM
DD is 3 wks. I can't recall, when is the best time to introduce a bottle if I plan on returning to work in a few months. With DS, I think I waited too long, and he was quite resistent. On the other hand, nursing is going great, and I have no desire to start a bottle until I have to. For some reason, starting before 6 weeks rings a bell...

Momof3Labs
10-21-2004, 11:39 PM
If bf'ing is going well, I think that 3-5 weeks is a good window. Many LCs will tell you to wait until 4-6 weeks, but it seems like many moms have success at 3 weeks, too. Just don't forget to continue offering bottles at least 3-4 times a week, every week, so that she doesn't "forget" how to take a bottle!

cara1
10-21-2004, 11:44 PM
Ugh, I know. That's what I thought. It's such a pain, though. I wish I could put it off as long as possible. Annoying to have to make DH go get a bottle when I have fresh available (and then I have to pump instead). And washing all those bottles. I have been putting off pumping since I was recovering from my c/s, but time to get going, I guess...

jbowman
10-21-2004, 11:48 PM
ITA with Lori. I think that we introduced the bottle when Ellie was almost 4 weeks old. Good luck!

Karenn
10-22-2004, 02:17 AM
Cara,
I'm right there with you! The LC at the hospital told us to start at 3 weeks. I put it off until today because it is such a pain! Claire took the bottle today without any problems, and then nursed immediatly afterwards too. I know last time we stareted at 3 weeks, and then skipped week 5, and by week 6, Colin wouldn't have a thing to do with it!

cara1
10-22-2004, 10:06 AM
Karen, did you do it, or did DH offer the bottle? I could never give my first child a bottle. (Emotionally I couldn't, never mind his refusal to accept it from me). It's just frustrating. I know when I go back to work all she'll get is bottles except for just a handful of nursing sessions when I'm home. I'd hate to deprive her of those now... But I guess I should start within the next week or so or I'll regret it later...

sntm
10-22-2004, 11:19 AM
It can vary, though. Jack had to take a lot of bottles of EBM from age 2 weeks to almost 4 weeks when we were having "issues", then I gave him NONE until I went back to work at 6 1/2 weeks. Though I don't necessarily recommend taking that chance!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
Breastfeeding 16 months and counting