PDA

View Full Version : Breastfeeding classes?

lisbeth916
10-22-2004, 04:25 PM
I will be a first time mommy and want to breastfeed. I am questioning how many mommies went to a breastfeeding class, or just wing it on their own?

My mom told me that when I was an infant, she just could not breastfeed me. She said it was hard and I did not get the hang of it. I now know I can't look to her for help. I know the resources are out there, I was just wondering at what point to I take advantage of them. I refuse to fail this.

TIA~Beth

pritchettzoo
10-22-2004, 04:45 PM
Definitely go to a breastfeeding class! Try to schedule it for later in your pregnancy (less time to forget ;)), but not so late that you have the baby first! The classes are only as good as the instructor, so I wouldn't use it as your only resource.

I enjoyed these books and referenced them frequently:
So That's What They're For by Janet Tamaro (very easy to read and funny but still informative)
The Nursing Mother's Companion by Kathleen Huggins

Good websites:
www.kellymom.com
There's another one I can't remember right now...

Also, check for a La Leche League meeting in your area. You are welcomed to attend while you're pregnant--that might be a good way to build a support group for yourself. I wound up calling some of the local leaders frantically (actually DH did) after DD was born, and they were very helpful, but it would have been nice to know them first. http://www.lalecheleague.org/WebUS.html

Good luck!

Anna

quikeye
10-22-2004, 04:47 PM
Hi Beth! :) My mom & grandma were the same way-- same story, "I couldn't do it". It was just so common then for there to be no support by medical professionals for bf'ing... One ped I interviewed (but didn't choose since his practice was too far) now even has a LC on staff-- so times have changed! :)

We didn't take any bf'ing classes (I worked full time right before birth, and I didn't have the blocks of time in dh's and my schedule to do so). I *totally* intended to drop in on a LLL meeting, but never did that, either :)

I did read a lot, "The Nursing Mothers Companion" & "The Breastfeeding Book" by Sears were my favs. (The latter tends to be ap-centered, which some parents don't like the advice along w/ the bf'ing stuff, just a warning! I liked it as a whole though). Also a lot of my preg & baby books had sections on nursing which I read as well. But I liked the NMC best-- I think b/c it gave the best advice for newborn bf'ing (using a cross cradle or a football hold, the BF Book said to use a cradle hold which was near impossible w/ such a tiny, helpless baby!) I liked Sears as well, it's a big book full of advice. But I took NMC ot the hospital w. me & used it's drawings to help perfect my holds. The BF book is a great big resource of foods and what you can/can't have while nursing (I'm pretty sure-- I gave my copy to a new mom so I can't reference it here). A lot of the info in the BF book can be found in Sears' "The baby book", but I liked having the BF book b/c of it's references.

Another great resource for us were the ped nurses @ my hospital. They get "right in there" and helped to show me how to position ds & my breast (who knew I actually had to hold it!)-- these ladies were pretty much experts. I lost the feeling of shyness when they really helped me get ds to nurse (by pushing my boob around & pulling on my arm position til I got it right). Plus, they check in on youevery hour or so, so you can always ask. Our hospital was really pro-bf'ing & pro-rooming in, so I guess it could depend on the hospital you go to. They also offered a free post-birth bf'ing class as well, it was really cool/reassuring to see LOTS of new moms/families & babies nursing or being shown how to nurse-- the more you expose yourself to exposed nursing, the more normal it is. (I had NO experience w/ seeing breasts/bf'ing in public, so this was kinda a revelation).

I also learned a LOT asking q's in this forum! Most of my posts during ds' 1st weeks of life were distressed calls for help in the feeding forum :) I learned the "Nipple sandwich" here-- which wasn't in any bf'ing book I'd read (pinching the nipple/areola down so it's more flat like ds' mouth and less rounded so babe can latch on-- ds couldn't get latched since the nipple was engorged, but pinching it horizontally down into a "sandwich" solved our latching problems). That advice I am certain helped cement our bf relationship :) We're @ 9 months and stil going strong; now my problem seems ds is addicted to nursing :)

Good luck! PS, I went into bf'ing with the I NEED TO DO THIS mindset, but with a temperence of "formula was good enough for me" knowing that there are moms out there, for whatever reason, can't nurse. I am not trying to discourage in any way, but I've learned flexibility being a mom :) and think it's important to know of possibilities so they don't crush you if they crop up. Best of luck!

new_mommy25
10-22-2004, 06:29 PM
I went to a bf'ing class and it was pretty helpful. I also suggest The Nursing Mothers Companion. I refered to that many times in the first few weeks. It took me a while to figure out how to position DS and the photos are great.

calebsmama03
10-22-2004, 06:38 PM
You've already gotten great advice. Those sites that Anna linked to are the BEST for up-to-date BFing info - bookmark them and refer to them :) I second the idea of LLL meetings. They are nice in that you see other moms BFing AND you can get trained help from the leaders. Additionally, while at the hospital be sure you're not afriad to stand up for yourself/your baby. I had a little card my doula gave me that said "I'm a breastfed boy - no artificial nipples or supplements for me" that we taped to DS's bassinet right by the card with his stats so all nurses would see it. I'd also ask to see the on-staff LC at the first sign of trouble. My DS was under oxygen for a few hours then too sleepy to nurse. Our day nurse wanted to give a bottle, but I insisted on seeing the LC, who had them check DS's blood sugar (which was fine) before deciding he "needed" a supplement. We got him latched on and we're still going (though starting to wean) at 19 mos!

Other tips - try to nurse as soon as possible - in the delivery room if you don't have a c/s, or within 2 hours if you do. And do lots of skin to skin contact with baby - helps them to learn to root and helps you to learn feeding cues better :)

Going into it with a "this might be hard, but I CAN do it" attitude is a great start! Good luck!
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
Oh my!! #2 5/05

lizajane
10-22-2004, 07:17 PM
GO TO A CLASS AND TAKE DADDY WITH YOU!!!!

i can't emphasize it enough. just like you, i "refused to fail" and if i hadn't had the class, a dh who called tons of lactation consultants and la leche for me and an appt with an LC at my hospital, i would have spent a LOT of miserable miserable months forcing myself to continue. to clarify, i had a very hard time at first, but with the help of all the LCs and la leche, it all worked out by 8 weeks and we had a FABULOUS breastfeeding experience from then on (until 14 months.)

find the numbers for some lactation consultants and la leche leaders NOW and have them on hand in case you have trouble. you will encounter lots of nay-sayers who will pull the ol' "why won't you just give him/her a bottle? what's wrong with you?" if you have trouble at first, and you will want to be armed with info from experts!!

stillplayswithbarbies
10-22-2004, 07:44 PM
I took a class and took DH with me. It's important for daddy to know all about it too so that he can help.

Also start going to La Leche meetings while you are still pregnant. That's the best place to see someone actually breastfeed, which they don't usually have at the classes.

...Karen
DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/borntobebreastfed2.gif

fauve01
10-22-2004, 08:18 PM
YES take a class! i took one that was taught by a very respected LC. it was two classes pre birth (DHs came too) and one class after birth where we nursed in class and asked questions. the teacher/LC who gave us her number and encouraged us to call anytime (i did several times); she also had a clinic she ran twice a week where you could drop in. it was so great to have this info before the baby came! DH is also glad he took the class and recommends it to his friends as well.

My favorite BF book was "so that's what they're for." i also ahve "the nursing mother's companion" but don't like it nearly as well.

GOOD LUCK!

Anne + DD 10-03 (still BF)

jillc
10-22-2004, 08:42 PM
Definitely take a class. I took a 2 hr class at my hospital about 6 weeks before my due date, and I can't emphasize enough how helpful the class was. I brought DH w/me, and so did most of the other women who attended the class, so don't worry that your DH will feel out of place.
It was a great opportunity to meet the lactation consultant who we would see in the hospital when the baby was born. Also, they told us about their weekly support group for breastfeeding moms, where I took Abby for our first outing together, and met lots of great ladies, and received continued education & support.

It was very important to me to breastfeed, and the information that we got REALLY helped to ensure that we did so. I have met a few people who did not take a class, because "breastfeeding is natural, so why do I need a class?", and most went home from the hospital bottlefeeding.

The class was priceless!!!!

I took about 6 pages of notes from my class, w/detailed info about what to expect on each day for the first few weeks. This was sooo helpful. I WOULD BE HAPPY TO MAKE YOU A COPY OF MY NOTES AND MAIL TO YOU IF YOU WOULD LIKE. Just let me know. I'm happy to help another mommy with breastfeeding - it is truly an amazing experience, and you will love it.

Best wishes!

HTH,
Jill

miki
10-22-2004, 08:54 PM
Take the class. It can't hurt. I found the class that DH and I attended helpful in letting me know what resources were available in my community to help me with BFing. Like where to find an LC, pumps, BFing clothes, etc. I knew where I could call for over the phone advice. That helped at the beginning when everything is really stressful. Good luck.

jbowman
10-22-2004, 09:29 PM
I went to a breastfeeding class at the hospital where I gave birth (a "breastfeeding-friendly hospital") and I found it extremely helpful. I went about a month or so before I gave birth to Ellie. I remember that the LCs covered a lot of information, from choosing a nursing bra to the football hold! We even practiced the different holds with dolls, which was great! It was free and it gave me a ton of confidence!

Good luck! The women on these boards are also great sources of information!

missmelis01
10-22-2004, 10:56 PM
I didn't go to a class before I had my DS, but that's because the hospital where I delivered has BF classes for all new moms the same day they deliver.

You also might want to get the name of a couple lactation consultants now, so you are prepared in case you have problems after the baby arrives. I went to a LC twice, and the hospital where I delivered had a BF hotline that I called countless times!

BF is hard work in the beginning, but stick with it -- it is so worth it and will definitely get easier.

Good luck, and keep us "posted" on your success!

June Mommy
10-23-2004, 12:32 AM
I would also definitely recommend classes, plus taking advantage of the LC service with the hospital. I called our LCs so many times after I had DS. It's also good to have books, IRL friends to talk to, plus these boards! One thing I wanted to say, though, speaking from my experience, is to be knowledgeable about potential problems and alternatives. I am not trying to be a naysayer, because I 110% support BF and was adament that I would exclusively BF. But I unfortunately had a terrible delivery that resulted in a c-section and major problems, which in turn affected my milk supply. I think one of the reasons it hit me so hard was that I wasn't prepared for any problems or other feeding situation. I'm not saying that BF won't work, b/c most women don't have the problems I did. I'm just saying to have as much knowledge as possible by taking advantage of classes, LC, books, etc. so that should you have problems you will be prepared. I didn't know that simply having a c-section could cause setbacks, I didn't know about supplemental nursing systems, herbs and other ways to increase milk supply, etc. (Of course I didn't plan on a c-section either, and everything that came with it, but that's another story!) I had said the same words, "I will not fail at this!", and you won't if you are determined, but I do wish I had been more prepared for things not to go exactly as I had planned. I read my books and went to my classes with the mindset that everything would go so smoothly and that I would know exactly what to do, but it is different when your baby actually arrives! I am currently pumping what I can to give to my baby but he has had to be supplemented from birth, which I was heartbroken about for a long time. But I've learned in my short time as a mother that everything doesn't always go as planned so you have to roll with the punches, which is hard for someone like me! Anyway, I digress...as a side note, I also recommend a really good breastpump, a Boppy is a must for a newborn, as well as the football hold!

bigsis
10-23-2004, 12:49 AM
I took a BF-ing class. I think it was VERY helpful. The first thing th e instructor did was dispell all the myths about BFing. She asked us what our biggest concern about it is. Mine was that my mom said that she couldn't BF any of us 4 kids because her milk would only come out when a baby was unlatched, but none would come out when we'd latch.

The instructor told us that that may not have been the case at all. That *most* women are equipped to BF just fine. We just need a lot of patience, support, and stick-to-it-tiveness. :)

I also went to BF support groups after having the baby. It was very helpful to see so many moms trying to do the same thing you're doing.

GL & HTH!

jamsmu
10-23-2004, 12:50 AM
I attended one, and it was BORING but TOTALLY WORTH WHILE!!! I was more scared to BF than to labor and this didn't exactly help me ease my fears, but it did help me to prepare. I highly recommend the class and also recommend that you invite your lac. consultant into your room often. Also, the nurses will be able to help you a lot.

Some insurance programs reimburse you for taking the class.

As far as when to take, I'd take it around the 7th month of your preg. That way, you have time to think of extra questions later, you're unlikely to go into labor before the class, and you aren't learning so much info you are likely to forget it.

HTH!

squimp
10-23-2004, 04:14 AM
I didn't go to a class, but I read a lot.

Make sure that there are Lactation Consultants (LCs) at your hospital, and that they will come by at least once every day you are there. If you are having trouble, arrange for a home visit within 5 days of leaving the hospital. These things helped me tremendously.

It is also important that your husband and other close folks around you are supportive, that is key.

Good luck, and I admire your determination.

ellies mom
10-23-2004, 04:27 AM
Our childbirth class included a segment on BFing complete with practice on dolls. You've been given a lot of good advice. I wanted to add that it was a bit frustrating in the hospital because one nurse would come in and tell you to do it one way, then the next would come in and tell you to do it another, and each LC said something different as well. They are just trying to help. Don't let the "THIS is how you do it" get to you (it's so easy to feel like they are critizing you), but try each way until you find what works for you. It can take a few weeks to get the hang of breastfeeding, but it is worth it.

Take advantage of the resources the moment you have a question or concern. Once you're home, come here. The women on this board are so encouraging and helpful.

lizajane
10-23-2004, 06:49 PM
i want to chime in again and say that i totally agree that you can't let "this is how you do it" get in your way. the football hold did NOT work for me and i kept doing it over and over and over because evvvvvveryone said, "oooooooh, if you are having trouble/pain, you HAVE to do the football hold- it is the easiest and you can watch him latch on." well, no. for me the cross over hold (or something like that) was SO MUCH BETTER and i could have saved myself a lot of stress if i just tried it earlier!

shamrock
10-23-2004, 09:55 PM
I haven't read pp so forgive me if this is a repeat of them.

Don't worry if mom couldn't breastfeed. The climate has really changed since then. My mother couldn't, she was told her milk was too thin. I really think the medical community (at least those I've dealt w/) is much more educated on bf now.

I went to a class, it was ok. I do think it was good. I got the most information out of LLL's book, The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. It was worth it's weight in gold.

Also find out now about lactation consultant services at the hospital where you deliver. Ask if the labor/delivery/recovery nurses are trained in breast feeding. Those first feedings are the hardest (your tired, baby's tired, your frustrated) any support you can get is going to benefit you. Also make sure the staff knows you are breastfeeding! Don't be afraid to say no to formula, baby shouldn't need anything but you those first few days.

Good luck! Breast feeding can be very hard, but it is so rewarding IMHO.

Karenn
10-23-2004, 11:25 PM
I took the class. It wasn't even a very good class, but I'm still VERY, VERY glad that I took it because I felt like I needed all the help I could get. My DH came too and that also turned out to be very vaulable. He was able to remember things that I couldn't when I was overwhelmed with new-mommyhood.

Your "refuse to fail" attitude will get you far. I think your mom's right- nursing can be hard, and some babies don't "get the hang of it" right off the bat. My DS seemed to come out knowing more about breastfeeding than I did. DD on the other hand, had a hard time figuring things out. If I hadn't had my "refuse to fail" attitude, and the help of the lactation nurses at the hospital, I might have given up. (Also, for what it's worth, my mom breastfed both my brother and I and still wasn't a ton of help in the nursing department.)

With DD, I also scheduled an appointment with the hospital LC 4 days after she was born. This was THE most useful thing for me in getting breastfeeding off to a good start. I wish I'd done the same thing for DS. (Even though *he* knew what he was doing, I didn't! :) ) The LC spent an hour watching me try to nurse DD and offered all sorts of support. This was so much more helpful to me than the quick 5-10 minute visits the LC's were able to offer while I was staying at the hospital.

Good luck!

smilequeen
10-24-2004, 03:04 PM
They had a series of classes, well, if 2 constitutes a series (they think so :)) and I took them.

I made DH go to the first one and it was a good thing...that's the one where they really get into the benefits and the need for support. He initially thought it would be useless for him, but he was very glad he went. The second was more technical and there weren't any dads there.

I haven't had the baby yet, so how helpful it was in the long run...I don't know, but I'm glad I went. I know how their lactation consultant system works, how the hospital will work with me, etc. at least in theory. I now know how to get ahold of an LC, and I've gotten to meet one of them. Makes me feel better about getting started.

kijip
10-24-2004, 11:50 PM
Take the class and make your partner attend with you. You won't be able to remember everything and your partner will need to be able to help you.

C99
10-25-2004, 12:28 AM
My mother breastfed all three of her children, at a time when there were virtually no resources or support. She was the first person in her family to breastfeed. There were no breastfeeding classes then.

Almost 30 years later, despite having grown up w/ someone who was powerfully, actively supportive of BFing, I still took a breastfeeding class. It was a good experience, and gave me exposure to some of the resources I later needed. My husband didn't come with me to the class (although most other daddies-to-be did), but that didn't stop him from being supportive of it. Somehow he just always knew that breastfeeding was best and didn't question it. I think this probably had a lot to do with the fact that his mother, SIL, and aunts all breastfed.

houseof3boys
10-25-2004, 09:49 AM
We took a breastfeeding for couples class so DH was right there with me learning the same stuff! It was great that he had the same "first hand" experience I did pre-baby so he could help and support me with questions.

I highly recommend taking a class as well as good breastfeeding books for reference and having an LC see you ASAP in the hospital.

If you are determined and committed to bfing, you can do it! :)

Good luck with it.

sntm
10-25-2004, 11:26 AM
I did not go to a class, and I regret it. I think I might have been more keyed in to what was not going right. I loved the book I read (Dr. Mom's Guide to Breastfeeding) but seeing it is important.

My advice:
* Take a class, preferably taught by an IBCLC or someone from LLL or recommended by LLL. Go with DH or any other support person who will be helping you out a lot (mom, etc.)
* Attend a LLL meeting. You'll learn, plus see lots of nursing babies and note how they do it, plus make good contacts for later when you need help.
* Get a good book and read it cover to cover before you deliver. You will forget everything in it, but it will come back faster when you go to look at it again.
* Bookmark this site, www.kellymom.com, and any other good info sites.
* Prepare your doc, your baby's doc, and everyone you come in contact with that you plan to breastfeed and you want to minimize any thing that might interfere. Make a sign for the baby's chart that says no bottles or pacifiers. Insist on breastfeeding within an hour of delivery, even if you deliver by c-section. Plan to room-in. Come up with answers for any intervention that may impact your BFing (if they are concerned that baby is hypoglycemic and want to give formula, insist on BFing first or handexpressing a little colustrum to feed from a spoon.)
* Try to see a good IBCLC before you leave the hospital.
* Make sure your ped is BFing friendly. I posted a list of questions a while back, do a search for breastfeeding friendly.
* Take it easy when you go home. Focus on getting this right and forget about laundry, etc. When people come to visit, make them wait on you. Yes, they want to play with the baby, but the first priority is taking care of the baby, which you need to do.
* Throw away (or donate) any of the formula samples you get in the mail. They are a bad temptation when things get frustrating. If you truly need it, you can buy more, but don't make it that easy.
* Be prepared that it may be hard on your mom to watch you do this, especially if you have problems. She may regret not BFing you and this will raise feelings in her. BTDT.

Keep coming here, and there are dozens of helpful ladies! I would not be breastfeeding still if not for the women here.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
Breastfeeding 16 months and counting

vdrake71
10-25-2004, 02:53 PM
I took a class at the hospital with the lactation consultants. I believe it was a 3 hour session. It was nice, but it did not truely prepare for BF. What really did help my was the 4 days that I spent in the hospital (I had a c-section). The lactation consultants stopped by everyday for one-on-one sessions and the nurses helped me with the correct positioning. If I did not have the one-on-one sessions in the hospital, I think that I would have lots of problems at home.

Elizasmom
10-25-2004, 09:36 PM
I had extreme problems with BF early on, but was able to succeed because I absolutely would not consider any other option. That attitude pretty much guarantees success. I went to the ER with mastitis and major nipple injury (because I had flat nipples before baby), and the nurse there tried to give me an "out" ("You poor thing, you don't have to do this, blah, blah). You will find that many people who never got to experience BF, will try to talk you out of it at the slightest signs of trouble. Also, if your breasts do not have ounce markings, you mother may be concerned that grandbaby is not getting enough.

It also helped trendously that I had read everything I could on BF beforehand and had taken a class. This information kept me motivated more than anything else because I fully understood the benefits of BF, as well as the problems I might face. I personally think a BF class is more important than birthing class. Birth takes a day (or two) and it will happen whether you're prepared or not. Breastfeeding will not happen unless you make the effort, and, if you don't understand how it works, you will likely not succeed unless you are lucky enough not to hit any snags. For example, so many people supplement with formula after their "starving" newborn wants to nurse constantly (totally normal). Before long they don't have enough milk because the supplementing has screwed up the supply and demand. They start giving more and more formula, and that spells the end of BFing. I would take the class, read, visit breastfeeding.com, and just know that if you can get through any difficulties in the first weeks you are home free and it is so worth it.

lisbeth916
10-26-2004, 10:31 AM
You women are awesome!
I can't believe I got so many responses so fast. I told my husband last night and he said, "well, guess that is decided"! Thank you so much. I now need to decide where/from whom I should take the class. There seem to be a lot of options in my area (Canton/Ann Arbor area, Michigan). Thanks again for all your great input. ~Beth

TraciG
10-26-2004, 08:57 PM
I didn't take a class but probably should have ! I had a c-section so I had the lactation consultants at the hospital help me the whole 5 days I was there, I was lucky that way, take advantage in the hospital but also take a class.

best of luck

caridura
10-26-2004, 09:58 PM
I would say take the class also. I just took one a few weeks ago and even though I already knew alot of the info taught (I've read ALOT on the subject) I think it was helpful. I believe the more knowledge the better!

Hopefully after taking the class and doing all this reading I've done, I will have an easier time at BF when my little one is here! :)

Good luck!

Sari
edd 11/16/04

californiamom
10-27-2004, 12:53 PM
I definitely recommend the bf'ing class. I took one and to be honest I should have signed up for two -- yes, two times would have been better. It's just that there's a lot to learn (my mom is not around anymore to help and I don't have {my} family close by) and at that point in my pregnancy, my brain was just too lazy to absorb MORE new information! LOL :-)

Take advantage of the resources around you! These boards are a great source of info, and PPs have recommened great books and internet sites. Grab it all!! :-)

Also, ask for references for a good LC in your area and keep her phone number handy! :-)

Good luck breastfeeding. It is a wonderful thing.

Ana

hellosmiletoday
10-28-2004, 01:28 AM
My hospital had birth/BF classes every 2 months so I missed the classes, but assumed everything would go well since I would be giving birth at a university hospital that had a LC on staff. I was wrong!!! Most of the nurses were completely "unexperienced" when it came to breastfeeding -- I was not taught the lying down position until 48 hrs after delivery (which made BF MUCH easier). The staff LC was not in the days I was in the hospital. Although I persisted and BF is going very well, I would certainly not rely on the hospital staff unless you know other moms that can tell you what their policies are. And dont give up. After 2 weeks, the pain subsided and sore/bleeding nipples healed...and BF is much, much easier and healthier than bottle feeding!

Next time around, I will hire my own private LC.

Mommy to baby girl 5.8.04

p.s. As you can tell I am a bit upset about the fact that a university hospital is not doing much to make sure that AAP guidelines about BFing are encouraged.