PDA

View Full Version : Adverse reaction to Fenugreek?

Jenn221
10-23-2004, 04:17 PM
Has anybody ever had a bad reaction to Fenugreek? I feel awful. I feel wired. I don't think it's the Reglan, because I've only taken 4 of them. I've been taking the Fenugreek for 3 days. TIA

egoldber
10-23-2004, 05:13 PM
Agitation is a known side effect of Reglan.

http://www.drugs.com/reglan.html

HTH,

JElaineB
10-23-2004, 09:57 PM
I took high doses of Fenugreek for at least a week or two and had no side effects except the maple syrup smell. I chose not to take Reglan because of the possible nasty unwanted side effects. Reglan crosses the blood-brain barrier so it is possible to have brain-altering side effects from it very quickly. You may look into getting Domperidone (Motilium) instead of Reglan. It does the same thing but doesn't cross the blood brain barrier. It is not technically approved by the FDA but it can be purchased online or from some compounding pharmacies (possibly, new FDA rules may have changed its availability). Info on ordering is at the bottom of the link below.

http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/domperidone.shtml

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

pritchettzoo
10-23-2004, 11:10 PM
I tried Reglan for HG, and it made me very disoriented fairly quickly--like within an hour of taking it. IV Reglan made me completely crazed. I tried to climb out of a hospital bed and rip out my IVs. It was fab! ;)

Hope you get back to normal soon.

Anna

Edited for spelling.

June Mommy
10-23-2004, 11:34 PM
I took Reglan for 3-4 weeks and also had a bad experience. Not only did it not help my milk supply, it either caused or contributed to my PPD. Depression is a side effect. I didn't have any problems with the Fenugreek, just the maple syrup smell like the pp!

jubilee
10-24-2004, 05:49 AM
I have taken both, for me the fenugreek did nothing- not even up my milk supply. Then I was on Reglan for around a year. Reglan did increase my supply a lot, but I did feel fairly depressed during that time, don't know if it was totally related to the Reglan. Now that I am off the Reglan I do feel so much better.

Rachels
10-24-2004, 10:04 AM
There is a pretty comprehensive list of galactogues in the breastfeeding section of www.drjacknewman.com if you want to look at other options. FWIW, Abigail took reglan for about three days, and even the tiny baby dose made her absolutely crazy.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya Angelou

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif Two years and counting!

kijip
10-24-2004, 11:55 PM
It VERY LIKELY is the Reglan! Try Domperidone instead- no depression side affects. The fenugreek is not known to cause the side affects you are having.

Domperidone is hard to track down in some area but call am LC, have her fax the information sheet to your doctor. Then start calling compounding pharmacies in your town to see where you can take your order. Your doctor call call over the prescription to the pharmacy in most cases.

Good luck!

Jenn221
10-25-2004, 10:35 AM
Sorry I haven't had a chance to update sooner. I also decided it was the Reglan. Things only got worse Saturday. I am taking Effexor for PPD. I felt like I did before I started the Effexor. Then I started having muscle spasms in my neck and jaw. It scared the crap out of me to put it mildly. I became hysterical and called my OB's answering service. The doc on call told me to take Benadryl. I don't know what that was supposed to do, but it did make me sleepy enough to calm me down :). The documentation that came with the prescription had a small section saying something to the effect of call a doctor if you have muscle spasms. That's what made me think that was probably the culprit. I'm just glad I felt better fairly quickly. I guess I will try the Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle. If my supply keeps going down, I will just have to supplement more. I guess I'm glad I tried Reglan, so that I know I tried everything I could. But that was a nightmare!

Thanks for all your responses!