PDA

View Full Version : Getting mixed reviews on breast pumps...

FirstOneInMarch
10-23-2004, 09:18 PM
We are expecting our first child in March and I was planning to go back to work when he/she is 8-10 weeks old. I do plan on continuing to breast-feed, at least as much as I can. However, I work in a very male-dominated office with only a dorm-sized refrigerator for all 15 of us to use. Using that for my milk will not be the best solution. Also, the bathroom I would use to pump in only has 2 stalls and is for the entire floor (not just our office). I also do a lot of travelling outside of the office and will be at client's homes and workplaces most of the summer. So, I need something that is quick and quiet. And something I can do in the car, maybe in an isolated parking lot. Any ideas?

Thanks so much!

Cindy

stillplayswithbarbies
10-24-2004, 01:55 AM
Many states have laws that say that an employer must provide a place for you to pump that is private and is not a bathroom. I know that Connecticut has that law, but you would have to check other states.

You will be able to keep the milk in a cooler in your office. Maybe you could keep ice packs in the freezer and switch them out halfway through the day.

I suggest two pumps. The Ameda Purely Yours is fairly quiet, and it is small and can easily be used with batteries. So you will be able to take it with you in a large purse if need be, and you can use it in the car or wherever you are.

Also get an Avent Isis. This is a manual pump. You would not want to use it all the time because it is a single pump so therefore takes twice as long to do both breasts. But it is very very quiet because there is no motor. You could use that when you are in very close quarters.

I would talk to your HR department and explain the situation and see what they can do. Perhaps there is an unused office, or even a storage room or large closet, you can have for a pumping room. Perhaps they would get a bigger refrigerator, or a second one for your office.

There is information on the web about how to approach an HR department about breastfeeding so that you can tell them all the benefits to the company of having their employees breastfeed their babies. (less sick leave because baby and mom are healthier, things like that)

http://www.lalecheleague.org/Law/Bills7.html

...Karen
DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/borntobebreastfed2.gif

missmelis01
10-24-2004, 01:16 PM
Hi Cindy. First, congrats! Second, I went back to work at 7 weeks, and use the Medela Pump In Style. I think it is fairly quiet and I am able to pump both breasts simultaneously in under 10 minutes.

For traveling, I bought a car lighter adapter for my pump, and have pumped many, many times in my car (at weddings, on the road while DH was driving, etc. :-) )The adapter is $15 and was well worth the expense.

At my office, we don't have a fridge, so I bought a mini cooler and keep my EBM in there. It keeps my milk cool from 10:00am (my first pumping) until 6:30 when I get home. This isn't the exact cooler I got, but it is similar:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/baby/B000067QYZ//103-6179559-8574254

About pumping at work, I work for a tech company and am the only female. Surpringsly, my male coworkers were very supportive of my pumping, and have never given me a hard time. I blocked my calendar for 30 minutes, 3 times a day (at 10, 1 and 4) so as to avoid other people scheduling meetings during those times. While my days rarely work out as planned, most of coworkers try to be accomodating.

Again, congratulations, and feel free to email me if you want to discuss any further.

FirstOneInMarch
10-24-2004, 06:08 PM
Thanks for your suggestions. I was afraid the coolers wouldn't keep up during the day, but it sounds like I can make that work. Also, thanks for the pump suggestions. This may be easier than I thought! We are going shopping Monday, so I'll keep these ideas in mind.

asha
10-26-2004, 03:16 AM
I totally agree with the pp. I also went back @ 7 weeks and use a medela PIS traveller. It comes with the adapter. The backpack makes it very easy to travel, I think. It also has a little bag with a freezing element to hold the bottles. I am a tech worker too with very few females around. Most of the guys were pretty young and had no idea what I was doing with my little bag walking around 3-4 times a day. I would wash the parts in the kitchen sink, so a few of them have asked me also. When I told them what it was, most were more embarassed than I was. Initially, I have to admit, I was a bit shy, then I figured I am doing something that I should be happy about, not ashamed of. After that it was never a problem. Try to get a room if possible. I am not sure how hygeinic the restroom will be. Also, you need to feel comfortable where you pump. Better to do it someplace you feel relaxed.
We did have a refrigerator in the kitchen where I could keep the bottles. I somehow, did not feel comfortable using it. I bought my own cooler and kept it on my desk. This again invited some wuestions from clueless guys. Never was a problem though. Overall, never had a problem with pumping. I live in CA, SF bayarea. Here also, it is required by law to provide a lactation room.
I changed jobs when DS was abt 6 mos old. This company was much closer to home. My boss even told me I could go to the daycare (5 miles away) twice or thrice a day to nurse if I wanted to. I personally think most ppl are now very understanding about these needs.
Congrats on your decision and dont give up!
Good luck,
~Asha

sntm
10-26-2004, 02:59 PM
I concur with pursuing a better pump place than a bathroom. I've found most people are very understanding and accomodating. I've been given empty conference rooms, use of a professor's office, and managed to retain the key to my private office after I got "merged" into a group office so that I could go there to pump.

I've always kept my milk in coolers. I used to keep it in the cooler portion of my Medela PIS with the three ice packs that come with it. I've since switched to keeping it in an insulated lunch bag with the three ice packs. It stays cool all day. I tend to forget to pick it up when I put it in the community fridge.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
Breastfeeding 16 months and counting