PDA

View Full Version : Poll: When did you introduce sippy cup, if at all?

hellosmiletoday
10-25-2004, 04:48 PM
When did you introduce a sippy cup? Or did you skip the skippy stage and why?

I am BF and DD gets an occasional bottle of EBM which might affect my options (i.e. early self weaning(?).

I'd like to BF for a year, and then pump exclusively after that time, but I havent made a firm decision about when to switch from nursing to pumping+cup. Both BF AND pumping is going well, so I'd like to continue giving DD the benefits as long as possible.

Momof3Labs
10-25-2004, 06:20 PM
We introduced it with solids at 6 months, but it was several months before Colin would take more than a few sips out of the sippy. And we had to try several different sippies before we had success!

jbowman
10-25-2004, 06:32 PM
We introduced the sippy cup when Ellie was around 5-5 1/2 months old. She didn't really get the hang out of it until she was around 9 months. We never pushed it--just offered it at each meal and then she started "warming up" to it! Now she's a champ!

FWIW, Ellie is BF--was before and still is after we introduced the sippy. It hasn't interfered at all.

murpheyblue
10-25-2004, 06:49 PM
I first introduced the cup with some water around 6 months. DD ocasionally took a few sips but was not terribly interested and we didn't offer it consistently. She's just started getting the hang of it and taking more than a sip or two around her first birthday.

Java
10-25-2004, 07:16 PM
DS refused a bottle and we had to introduce a sippy at 5m due to circumstances (both DH and I were in a Vegas wedding so I couldn't BF that day). Actually, we introduced a sippy at 3m but he had no clue how to use it!

Anyway, he sort of took it at 5m but made a HUGE mess (dribbling, etc.) and didn't really get the hang of it until a few weeks later.

I'm still BF'ing 4-6x a day and he's drinking water and soy milk during mealtimes from sippies (I'm transitioning him off them), straw cups and real cups.

I made sure that he didn't get too attached to one drinking vessel so it wouldn't be a hardship during transition time.

shamrock
10-26-2004, 06:04 PM
I've just introduced a sippy cup. DS is 5 1/2 months. He really has no idea what to do with it. I think right now it is just a toy and something to chew on. He lovest rying to hold things so I thought the sippy cup would give him a little reward if he's able to hold it and get it to his mouth.