PDA

View Full Version : What size nursing bra to get immediately?

caridura
10-26-2004, 10:54 PM
I am planning to breastfeed and am expecting my first in about 3 weeks. :) I need to buy a nursing bra to wear immediately, but am not sure what size to get??

I am currently wearing a 38DD. I was a 36C pre-pregnancy. Should I just start out w/ a 38DD until I know how big my breasts will get after my milk comes in OR should I go ahead and purchase a nursing bra 1 cup size bigger? I imagine I will neither have the time nor energy to go out and actually shop for a good nursing bra in the first few weeks after the baby is born, so I'd rather get something now to tide me over until I can.

Also, I read many of you recommend Wacoal bras. There are some good deals on eBay, but I am worried about the underwire. I normally wear underwire bras for the support, but is this a bad idea for a new mom trying to breastfeed due to duct clogging?

You ladies are experts so ANY and ALL advice is welcome! :) TIA!!

~Sari
edd 11/16/04

Momof3Labs
10-26-2004, 11:34 PM
I'd suggest going with a sports-type bra for now. It spans a range of sizes (which you will need, trust me) and is comfy enough to sleep in. The Bravado is a decent choice (go with the ++ or double-plus size for enough support) and is widely available.

Stay far, far away from underwires until your supply regulates AND you know whether you are prone to plugged ducts.

Unless you have an awful delivery, I think that you'll be surprised at how eager you are to get out of the house for any reason in the first few weeks - many, many mommies tell stories of the first Target run at 1 week postpartum because they are suffering from cabin fever!!

CiderLogan
10-26-2004, 11:44 PM
I agree with Lori. Buy something that fits you now, but in a flexible style (like the Bravado) that can accomodate any changes. In addition to breast size changes, your band size will probably change, but I guess it varies how much/how quickly. She is also so right about wanting to get out of the house, so in addition to purchasing a bra now, also look for places to buy bras after the birth (and a nursing support group or LC).

Jenny
Mom of Julia, 8/03

missmelis01
10-26-2004, 11:44 PM
I would suggest waiting until your milk comes in and then get professionally fitted for a nursing bra. And as Lori said, stay away from underwire. When BF, you should not be wearing underwire bras as they can cause plugged ducts, and I found underwire incredibly uncomfortable.

Congratulations, and best wishes for an easy and speedy delivery!

jacksmomtobe
10-26-2004, 11:46 PM
Let me just say that I think I own at least 12 nursing bras. I would advise against underwire. You wear these bras all the time (while sleeping) so you want something comfortable esp if your breasts may change size wise thus look for something with stretch that is less confining than underwire. I would figure out which brand you like that way if you need a larger size later on you can send someone out to get the type you like in a larger size. I have 4 or 5 in my current size because sometimes you have an unexpected leak (I wasn't a big leaker but it happens) and have to change your bra so it helps to have several so you aren't stuck dong a lot of laundry. That said I would probably recommend getting one of each size until you see what happens then you can stock up so that you don't end up with a large collection like I have. :)

Good Luck!

squimp
10-27-2004, 12:45 AM
Just buy something really stretchy for the first few weeks, and for sleeping. I got a wrap bra from Motherhood, and I'm still wearing it now for sleeping.

I would not wear underwire for the first month or so at least, until BF is going well. After that, go with what's comfortable. I am still BF at 1 year and work and I cannot leave my house without underwire!

Definitely don't buy one of those Wacoals until your milk comes in, in part because of the underwire, but mostly because they can be expensive, and you have no idea how much you will increase (I went up 4 cup sizes and 2") after DD was born!

COElizabeth
10-27-2004, 11:04 AM
If I were you (and I am around the same sizes), I would get the Bravado Large ++, as others have suggested. I sent my sister out shopping when I was very engorged after James was born, and she came home with this and one other bra. The Bravado left me only for laundering for several months, and then I moved on to smaller Bravados! Especially when you are engorged and/or sleeping, you definitely want something stretchy and comfortable!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
EDD #2, 10-30-04

caridura
10-27-2004, 11:03 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice! :) I have ordered 2 Bravado nursing bras. I got one in Double Plus Large and another in Plus Large to try out.

Sari
edd 11/16/04

Momof3Labs
10-27-2004, 11:13 PM
Can you change your order? The Plus Large really isn't supportive enough for a 38DD or even a 36C - I'm about the same size as you. The double plus is really the way to go, especially if you want to be able to put nursing pads in the bra to help with leakage.

caridura
10-28-2004, 01:14 PM
I will try! If not, I'll just exchange it for a bigger size. Thanks though!!

audys
10-29-2004, 12:36 AM
Hi Sari,

I think getting a couple of nursing bras now is a really good idea - it's true that you'll be really tired, etc right after...

I have been through 5 different types of nursing bras before I found one that I liked. The Medela, Mimi maternity, etc type all have buckles that need to be undone so you can nurse - those are harder to deal with while holding a newborn with no head control...

I can only RAVE about the Blue Canoe Jane's Bra Plus - I've been wearing these for the last 6 months. It's all cotton (very breathable), well made, and SO comfortable to wear all of the time (I've needed to always wear bra pads because of leakage). They have no buckles or snaps so are easy to use for nursing. They're generously cut for size and aren't very expensive ($30). The manufacturer stocks a natural color and does a lot of other custom colors (but they are dyed when ordered so take longer to get).

I think this would be a less expensive way to go for starters until you have the energy to be fit and shop more.

I was exactly the same size as you and a Large would probably fit you, if you decide to try this bra. I did go up one size when my milk came in but then down again after a few months of nursing.

Audrey, mother to Graham

http://lilypie.com/baby1/050210/3/15/1/+10/.png (http://lilypie.com)

audys
10-29-2004, 12:37 AM
Oops - here's the web site for Blue Canoe:

http://www.bluecanoe.com/store/viewItem.php?itemnum=A161

Audrey, mother to Graham

http://lilypie.com/baby1/050210/3/15/1/+10/.png (http://lilypie.com)

caridura
10-29-2004, 06:36 PM
Thanks Audrey! I will bookmark that site for when I am ready to get more nursing bras. I have 2 on order now that I will try out and take it from there. I'm sure I will be finding I need more!! :)

tarahsolazy
10-29-2004, 07:23 PM
I am in LOVE with these. I have three, and wear them 24/7, really. I don't really feel the need for a more engineered bra, and they are so soft and comfy. No hardware, etc. I totally second your rec, Audrey. Bravados are a close second for me, but the no hardware thing seals it for the Blue Canoes. Oh, and to the OP, you don't have to unsnap your Bravado cups to nurse, you can just pull them aside. I'm sure everyone else realized this immediately, but I was unsnapping them for about 5 months, and they are hard to resnap while holding baby.

TahliasMom
10-29-2004, 10:39 PM
Before I got pregnant I was a 36B, during I was 40C and when I started BFing I was 40D and then about 6 weeks I went down to 36D. So like many of you, I went through several brands/sizes of nursing bras before I found the one that worked for me. I started with Bravado and the band underneath my boobs kept rolling up and I didn't like the sports bra feel/look. Then I tried Medela soft cup and it wasn't enough support. Now I'm onto a bra from www.motherwear.com called Beatiful Boutique Bra. It has a soft cup, stretchy, very supportive and has three-hook adjustable nursing cups which I love because my boob size changes throughout the day. My best advice is to try several brands because they all fit differently.
Good Luck
Katherine

http://www.motherwear.com/shopping/prod_detail/main.asp?uid=F523ED53-FF37-45DB-B426-7B3EB44537CB-69073592&MainCatID=0&catID=6&sl=0&Clearance=0&productID=1772

Momof3Labs
10-30-2004, 05:46 PM
>Oh, and to the OP, you don't have to unsnap your
>Bravado cups to nurse, you can just pull them aside.

FYI, this is not true for the double plus size.