PDA

View Full Version : How much better is a hospital grade pump?

Jenn221
10-27-2004, 12:47 PM
I am having some supply issues, and I work full time. I've bought an Ameda Purely Yours. I am pumping 25 minutes every 2 hours trying to encourage more supply. I am wondering if I should try renting a hospital grade pump. I tried taking Reglan, but it did awful things to me. I am taking Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle. I am also drinking tons of water. It seems like those might be helping a little. It seems like my only other option is trying a different pump. Would it really do that much better? I have made it almost 2 months, and I would like to make it longer. I don't mind supplementing some, but it would be less stressful if I had some wiggle room with supply instead of having to use every drop I have for the next day's bottles :). TIA.

lmintzer
10-27-2004, 01:06 PM
Much, much better! I had supply problems with ds#1 too, and with ds#2, I didn't mess around. He was a preemie (almost 36 weeks) and had trouble latching right away. I rented the Madella Classic pump, and it really really helped. It's more comfortable, too, which makes a difference when you have to pump often. I think when pumping is uncomfortable, you tense up and then don't produce as much milk.

You should be able to pump for less time with a hospital grade pump (reduce to 15 minutes) so spare yourself the potential nipple damage from such extended and frequent pumping.

Only downside--the weight of the pump. It's a pain to drag around.

McQ
10-27-2004, 01:48 PM
I'm lucky enough that my work provides Medela Classic for us to use. I also have a Medela Pump In Style. The PIS is good but the Classic is great. Although with both I'm finished pumping in under 10 minutes - I just seem to get more from the Classic.

I rented an Ameda hospital grade pump last time and that was good too. It was heavy so I can't imagine lugging it around but we moms do what we have to do.

Allison
~ mama to Declan 3.24.03 and Meghan 8.26.04

simba
10-28-2004, 01:37 AM
Hi!
Why don't you rent a hospital-grade pump for a few days (they cost $3/per day at the most)and see for yourself? I loved it, but that's all I tried as my DS was in the NICU and I had to make sure to establish a good supply and plenty of yummy milk for him!
Good luck!
Silvana

audys
10-30-2004, 12:08 AM
Hi Jenn, I collected a bit more milk with the Symphony pump (rental) when I went out of town for a business trip for a week than from my usual PIS. Definitely worth trying!

Audrey, mother to Graham

http://lilypie.com/baby1/050210/3/15/1/+10/.png (http://lilypie.com)