PDA

View Full Version : Inexperienced mom - mixing formula?

swan01
10-31-2004, 07:02 AM
I know this is an ignorant question, but I have started using Playtex Nursers. My DD is 1 month old and will be going to day care in a couple months. She is currently getting 1 bottle of EBM every day or so just to get her used to taking the bottle.

When we start on formula, how do I mix it? Do I need to do it in a different container and pour it into the drop-in liner? I would like to do this in as few steps as possible, but the liners seem so flimsy. Could I actually shake it up in the drop-ins or would that be a disaster?

Any hints? Maybe I should change over and use Avent or something once she is off EBM? The drop-ins would probably cost me a fortune over the long run anyway...

Thanks!

emmiem
10-31-2004, 08:03 PM
I have had three children use the playtex liners and have never had any problems. I put the formula in the bottom. Add some hot water, then some room temp water and put the nipple/ring/cap on. I shake and that's it.

I even store it sometimes in my diaper bag for a while without any leakage or breakage.
Michele

sarah0518
11-01-2004, 10:49 AM
I use the playtex bottles. Find them very easy to deal with. We adopted so have been formula feeding from the beginning. Here's what has worked best for us so far:

After I clean the bottles each night, I set up the bottles for the next day. I pour in the correct amount of water for the amount my son is drinking right now. In my case I also add some of the Little Tummy to the water in each bottle. Cuts down tremedously on the amount of foaming when the formula is mixed with the water.

Munchkin has formula dispenser that are divided into 3 sections. (These can also be used for dry cereals, etc as they get older.) After making up all the bottles of water, I fill the formula dispensers. 3 dispensers get me thru the entire day and night.

When my son is ready for a bottle, I just dump one portion from the dispenser into the bottle and shake it up. Takes little to no time. This was a life saver to me for those middle of the might feedings at first. I could keep formula and bottle in the bathroom right beside his room each night, no going downstairs! Also, no measuring formula and hoping my bleary sleepy slef got it right.

This routine works really well the days my son goes to the babysitter too. I know what he's getting, and don't have to wonder if the formula was measured out right for the amount of water. (We had bad constipation problems, so this was really important to me.

So long as I keep the bottles mostly upright, I haven't had problems with leaking. Turn them upside down or on their side for long periods and it is a different story. They will leak slowly then.

If you do mix the formula with the water beforehand it should be refrigerated if it will be more than 1 hour before use.

If mixing is done in the bottle, the water should be poured in first. If the formula is poured in first, it changes measurements for you water content. Say you are making 4 ounces, it should be 4 ounces of water before the formula is added. If the formula gets added first, and you fill it to the 4 ounce line, you aren't using enough water. The formula ends up mixed on the rich side, which may cause problems.