PDA

View Full Version : for those with PIS- how often do you change membranes?

Laurel
10-31-2004, 07:53 PM
I find that I need new membranes (the white flaps) pretty often. How often do you pump? How often do you change the flaps? How do you clean them? I had been steam cleaning them with my other parts, but that seems to wear them out really fast!

Thanks!

missmelis01
10-31-2004, 10:16 PM
I have been pumping since my son was born (3/28/04). While at work, I pump 3x/day and on the week-ends, I pump maybe 1x/day if that. Honestly, I don't know how often the membranes are supposed to be changed, but I have only changed them once. I do wash the parts with warm water and soap after every pump and sterilize them in a steamer once a week.

When I did change the membranes, I expected the pump to "feel"/work differently, but it didn't!

How do you know you need new membranes? Do you no longer get suction? Maybe your pump is defective and it would be worthwhile to call Medela?

Laurel
11-01-2004, 01:04 AM
When I steam them in the microwave bags they seem to break down/ thin a bit. I change membranes every month or so and do notice a difference. It is hard to explain...the strength of the suction is the same, but the quality is different. Maybe I am imagining it! I think if I stop putting them in the steam bags they may last longer. I also sterilize my parts at least once every day. I'm pretty sure nothing else is wrong with my pump.

Thanks for answering!

Laurel
11-01-2004, 01:07 AM
Melissa,
I also just noticed that your son was born the day before my daughter. I can't believe it has been seven months, can you?

tarahsolazy
11-01-2004, 05:57 PM
I change every 6 weeks or so, maybe two months on the outside. I have never sterilized my pump parts after an inital steam sterilization. I wash them by hand in hot soapy water. I don't notice a change in output when I change membranes, either, I just do it sort of preventatively.

proggoddess
11-02-2004, 01:01 PM
I pump 3x on weekdays, and now only once or none on the weekends. I've only changed the membranes once, when I noticed a hole in one of them.

When I put the new ones on, it did make a significant difference, but the new ones now feel about the same as the old ones (when they were old but didn't have the hole).

I sterilize them once a week. Otherwise, I used the Quick Clean wipes or handwash in soapy water.

(Hey, I'm a mom to a late March baby, too! :) )

missmelis01
11-02-2004, 01:06 PM
No, I can't believe it's been 7 months! Sometimes I still can't believe I have a baby!!! ;-) 7 months is such a great age.

missmelis01
11-02-2004, 01:07 PM
Yeah late March Moms!!! :-)