PDA

View Full Version : How Do you Clean Pump in Style Tubes Without Making them Cloudy

Elizasmom
11-02-2004, 11:32 PM
I can't stand the way PIS tubes go from clear and clean looking to cloudy and questionable looking if they are boiled. I just reluctantly boiled my tubes because they had been in storage for three years. As predicted, they came out cloudy (I had never boiled them before). It really bugs me because then you can't tell if there are milk spots, mold, or condensation in them.

I also noticed cracks in both hard plastic ends, so I think I'm just going to get new tubes. I want my new tubes to stay clear, and I need suggestions. Does anyone here not boil their tubes (not even before their first use), and can anyone suggest an adequate way to clean them that will not cause them to become permanently cloudy? I called Medela and they said that they always turn color after boiling because of what the heat does to the material. Nonetheless, they do recommend boiling before first use. I just think the end result is less clean tubes because you can't see if they're dirty. I know all about twirling them, alcohol, running them on the pump, but it seems that the color change after boiling is permanent.

jubilee
11-03-2004, 03:30 AM
If they are silicone, you could soak them in a vinegar/water mix (like 3 parts water-1 part vinegar). That normally gets rid of the cloudy film on silicone bottle nipples and such. Just rinse well after.

HallsofVA
11-04-2004, 11:26 PM
I never cleaned the tubes or boiled them. As long as it's just air passing through, there never seemed to be a need to clean them. On the two occasions when I left water in the part where the tube attaches, and some water drops started to go down the tube while pumping, I stopped pumping and spun the tubes around (sort of a whipping motion) until the water was gone. I haven't had any problems with condensation or mold in the 9+ months I've been pumping, and the tubes are still clear. I have had milk drops on the outside of the tubes, but I just wipe the drops off from the outside.

Laurel
11-05-2004, 12:12 AM
I use those steam bags from medela and have yet to have my tubes turn cloudy.

proggoddess
11-05-2004, 12:25 PM
I've both boiled and steamed my tubes. They turn cloudy for a day, but with regular use it clears up. I think perhaps it is "micro condensation" and running air through the tubes evaporates the water.

hellosmiletoday
11-05-2004, 12:35 PM
Mine also returned to normal after a few days use.

Mommy to baby girl 5.8.04