PDA

View Full Version : In a veggie rut, any fun ideas?

alkagift
11-03-2004, 12:19 PM
My DS is getting into the habit of broccoli, peas, and carrots. It's got to be boring and I'm looking for new ideas that any of you may have. Corn gives him intestinal problems so we really limit corn. He also loves beans (except green) of any type--chickpeas, black beans, etc., but I'm usually using those as protein sources. He hates asparagus, I've tried that several times, but I'm willing to try anything! Ideas? Does anyone give their young toddler salads or lettuce?

By the way, when does the concern about nitrates in spinach expire with kids? I have not really fed him much spinach.

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

ett
11-03-2004, 01:49 PM
What about zucchini, summer squash, or winter squash? I steam them and DS just gobbles them up.

mharling
11-03-2004, 02:13 PM
I second the suggestion for squash. I take a butternut or acorn squash, cut it in half lengthwise, put it face down in a pan with some water and bake at 350 for about 40 minutes. When it's done, I make small cubes and toss with butter and a little bit of brown sugar.

One of my new favorite finds is pumpkin butter from Trader Joe's. You could use it as a dip or a spread for some additional Vitamin A.

Dh let Lane try a small piece of lettuce once and he really couldn't do anything with it. He couldn't chew it up much and I think it was awkward to try to swallow. I think we'll wait awhile before trying again.

ETA: Lane and I have vegetable soup for lunch once a week. I buy the Healthy Choice Country Vegetable. There's a good mix of veggies in it and they're pretty soft from being in the broth. It's a sure-fire way for Lane to eat veggies.

Mary
Lane - April 2003
Little sister on the way!!! March 2!

papal
11-03-2004, 02:59 PM
How about eggplantt (big ones, baby ones, japanese ones, indian ones, korean ones), green beans, cauliflower, cabbage, sweet potato, pumpkin. I do spinach in rice occasionally and don't worry about the nitrates too much.
Oh, also brussel sprouts and potatoes! :)

alleyoop
11-03-2004, 03:20 PM
Edamame (vegtable soybeans)!! Buy them frozen in the veggie section, boil, pop out the beans and sprinkle with a touch of salt. Yum!

heidi_timms
11-03-2004, 05:06 PM
Okay, this is not exactly a vegetable, but veggie booty. It's made with spinach and kale. It's not as good as the real thing, but it's a great snack for lunchtime.

Also, my sister got desperate because her daughter wouldn't eat any veggies so she made her daughter veggie waffles. I'm not sure how she did it, probably by chopping up or pureeing the veggies and adding them to the batter.

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey
4/03

houseof3boys
11-03-2004, 05:25 PM
We have given Ryan artichoke hearts with little success but they have good stuff in em so try that! We also tried the spinach last night since we love it and have it a lot but it didn't go over well.

What about cauliflower? He ate that when we were out at a restaurant and we were stunned.

Ryan loves beets too!

Smooches to Matthew. :)