PDA

View Full Version : How much breastmilk at one year?

Buffys Mommy
11-04-2004, 01:45 AM
Sarah has started at daycare and is only drinking approximately 7 ounces of breastmilk while at daycare (8AM - 5PM). She's eating solids, but not a lot. She's nursing in the morning before daycare, soon after daycare, and then once more at bedtime. I know the recommendation is 16-20 ounces of whole milk. Is it the same for breast milk? I'm worried she isn't getting enough.

Tammie
Sarah Michelle 10/13/03

Katia
11-04-2004, 11:46 AM
I have some of the same questions! My DS is also a year old and we're still breastfeeding. I haven't found much in the way of "official" recommendations for breastfeeding past a year. I assume this is because 1) not many people do it, and 2) aside from pumping, it's hard to quantify how much breastmilk a baby is actually getting.

I can tell you that when DS was 5-6 months old and in daycare full time, he usually took 3 bottles a day, 7-8 oz each. Now he's only there part time, but he takes much, much less -- maybe one bottle of 3 oz during the 4 hours he's at daycare? (He also takes a couple ounces of water, which he loves, and has two snacks.) So if your DD is there all day, 7 oz total sounds similar to what we're experiencing. My hunch is that it's probably OK, especially since she still nurses three times a day at home. No doubt she gets a lot more milk then, since babies are so much more efficient than breast pumps! I think you're doing great :-)

In our case, DS was slow to start solids. We offered them, but he just wasn't interested. Finally, just in the last few weeks, he's been showing a lot of enthusiasm. I expect he'll start getting more of his calories from solids now, although I plan to keep breastfeeding for a while...assuming he's still willing! :-)

stillplayswithbarbies
11-04-2004, 08:39 PM
that's about what Logan was drinking at that age. A breastfed baby will self-regulate and nurse more or less to make up for what they get at daycare if it isn't enough on that particular day.

...Karen
DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/borntobebreastfed2.gif

sntm
11-05-2004, 04:46 PM
Agreed with PP. You can always introduce a little whole milk in addition, but as long as she is getting a good calcium source (yogurt, cheese, salmon, certain greens) whole milk isn't necessary.

The recs are mainly to encourage people to choose cow's milk over juice or soda or whatever. There's no real need for cow's milk, particularly when BFed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
Breastfeeding 16 months and counting

Buffys Mommy
11-05-2004, 10:20 PM
Thank you so much for your replies everyone. I was nervous that she wasn't getting enough milk and food, but she's adjusting to daycare well and by the end of the week is eating more and drinking her 7-8oz of milk. She's also eating/nursing well at home to, so I'll stop worrying for awhile. I appreciate the advice/support from everyone.

I have to say, I truly respect those of you who had to go back to work and pumped for a year or more. After doing it for one week, I don't know if we would have made it a year if I had to pump for a long time.

Tammie
Sarah Michelle 10/13/03