PDA

View Full Version : What kind of Vitamin Supplements are you giving your child?

Java
11-05-2004, 01:53 PM
I did a search but didn't find what I was looking for...

Kael is finally hitting that awful stage of refusing food. He barely drinks his soy and cow's milk. He seems to be more comfort nursing than nutritive nursing. No cheerios, no goldfish crackers, no pasta, no toast. Maybe he'll eat 3-4 pieces of mac and cheese. A couple of bites of avocado. He seems to tolerate (of all things) jarred fruits. I can't figure him out - he refuses fresh fruit but will eat the jarred stuff! Anyway, that's it. For the whole day. The only thing he's not refusing is water. And yogurt, but only 4-5 spoons than the mouth clamps shut.

Since he's 13 months, I figure I can start giving him vitamins. He's currently taking 1000mg of sodium ascorbate (immunity booster) and a 1/4 teaspoon of Baby-Jarro probiotics. His iron levels are OK (sort of on the low end of OK). I keep hearing how awful the Poly- and Tri- brands are so I don't want to get them. I'm looking for a more natural, whole-earthy vitamin (if there's such a thing).

Any recommendations? TIA!

JElaineB
11-05-2004, 02:38 PM
Try Schiff's Children's Multivitamin Liquid. It is kind of expensive, but is peach flavored and better tasting than most vitamins.

http://www.schiffvitamins.com/productsearch_results.asp?p=143

I have some but I must admit I am not good at giving it to DS. I searched around online to find the best price, but can't remember where I ordered it from.

ETA: The website doesn't have a ton of info, but these vitamin are vegetarian with no artifical colors or flavors I believe. They do contain a sorbitol type sweetner. I can double check when I get home later if you want.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

sntm
11-05-2004, 05:04 PM
We use Kanga-vites by Solgar, from Whole Foods. They are chewables, so the first couple of times I gave them, I cut them into small pieces and watched Jack closely. He did great. He loves them like candy, too, and will get excited when he hears the word "vitamin."

Their dosing is for > 2 years, so I give half the dose (1 tablet instead of 2).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
Breastfeeding 16 months and counting

houseof3boys
11-05-2004, 05:42 PM
We do Animal Parade chewables in grape flavor from Whole Foods. Ryan loves to hear the words "it's time for Ryan's vitamin." He will drop anything to come over and get it since he loves it so much!

We used to use the Poly vi sol liquid but then he got picky and wouldn't finish the cereal I would try to disguise it in. We tried the Schiff liquid also but he didn't care for that either. He now uses what we call the big boy vitamins!

Java
11-05-2004, 06:11 PM
ugh - I was JUST at Whole Foods!!! I was looking for a liquid type of vitamin so I can sneak it in his yogurt. Did I also tell you he's refusing texture? I swear he's going to eat pureed foods until he hits high school.

Anyway, I saw the vitamins you ladies are talking about but didn't get them because I didn't think he'd take a chewable. When I give him half a raisin, he gums that one half for a minute or two then spits it out.

I'm going to Mother's Market tomorrow (they have a larger selection for vitamins). Hopefully I can find a liquid - if not, I can probably crush a chewable and sprinkle it on his food, right?

houseof3boys
11-06-2004, 11:35 AM
Your Whole Foods should have bottles of toddler chewables with TESTER on it. I would eat half of it and give the other half or part of it to Ryan to even see if he would like it. We ruled out some gummy type vitamins this way. Obviously your son is younger so give him a smaller piece or take some "testers" home with you and try them over the next couple of days.

The texture thing happens but they get over it quickly so don't sweat it! :)

Emmas Mom
11-06-2004, 12:30 PM
My DD is on the Poly-vi-sol at the recommendation of her pediatrician. She's doing fine with it so far. What's so awful about it?

Java
11-06-2004, 06:08 PM
I think it's the taste factor with the Poly- stuff.

I found and purchased Schiff's - Mother's Market had it for $11 for a fairly large bottle. We'll see how he likes it!

Thanks ladies!

Emmas Mom
11-06-2004, 10:07 PM
I think my DD is weird then. I can't get her to eat veggies anymore but she'll take the liquid vitamin no problem. lol Go figure.

netne
11-08-2004, 03:09 AM
You must be blessed with non-functioning smell receptors. We tried poly-vi-sol for a while and I couldn't stand the smell of it. DS would spit it everywhere and it stained horribly. We stopped after a couple weeks of battling with the vitamins. But he's a good eater so we weren't too concerned.