PDA

View Full Version : When is applesauce okay?

Judegirl
11-16-2004, 01:03 PM
I've changed my mind about the next food to feed dd, but there's a jar of organic applesauce in the fridge. Neither SBF nor COM mention applesauce..what's the word?

Thanks!
Jude

KGoes
11-16-2004, 02:03 PM
Applesauce was the first thing DD ate - at about 7 months. I don't recall anything about reserving apples until later.

Kelley
DD born 7/03
And the next one due 4/05

Marisa6826
11-16-2004, 03:25 PM
Applesauce was Sophie's first solid.

-m

caheinz
11-16-2004, 04:26 PM
Wholesomebabyfood.com lists apples as a first fruit. As long as there's nothing added to the applesauce, I don't see why it wouldn't count as cooked apple... (This site is a great companion to the books, by the way!)

We have some in the house, but haven't gotten around to introducing it yet. Only got to the first thing to apparently taste good this past weekend, after a month+ of trying! (It was oatmeal cereal, btw...)

JElaineB
11-17-2004, 09:36 AM
If you are worried about food allergies, below is a reference I used when introducing solids to DS. It is a page from a textbook on food allergies. It is a list of adding solid foods for your allergic infant. So it is VERY conservative. I did not follow it that closely (for example I introduced peas much earlier than suggested), but used it as a guide for the order/approximate ages in which to introduce some foods.

http://www.hallpublications.com/title2_sample2.html

BTW, in this list apple (cooked) is listed in the second group of fruits, for 9-12 months. The first group of cooked fruits for 6-9 months include pear, peach, banana, apricot, nectarine and blueberry.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

psophia17
11-17-2004, 02:18 PM
DS had applesauce almost right away when we started solids at 4 months. We didn't go with organic, but we made sure what he got was unsweetened. We also would mix it with other pureed fruits and used it as a base for cereal, which he wouldn't eat on its own.

Saartje
11-17-2004, 03:07 PM
Dr. Sears's book recommends apple as one of the first foods, at 6 months, so you should be fine.

TahliasMom
11-18-2004, 02:09 AM
I made my own and it's going to be the second food that DD is going to get later this week. I'm using the cworkbook from www.freshbaby.com