PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have a resource for what spices are okay when?

Saartje
11-17-2004, 03:11 PM
Just wondering, since DH and I have some favorite soups that have just two vegetables plus a few spices, and if the spices are okay, that would certainly make for a convenient early food.

Marisa6826
11-17-2004, 07:39 PM
All three of my Peds told me that I didn't have to avoid spices. Granted, I don't cook really spicy stuff, we just gave Sophie whatever we were eating. In fact, she was about seven months old when she got her first sniffles. I made her a pot of my chicken soup, strained it through a coffee filter and fed her the brother through a bottle. She swilled down about five ounces and was all better the next day! :)

As long as you don't eat especially spicy food, I wouldn't give it a second thought.

-m

amp
11-17-2004, 08:38 PM
Like Marisa, as soon as Jake was ready for our food, he got spices....basil, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, olive oil, etc. We tried to steer clear of excessive pepper and to go very light on things like red pepper flakes. Honestly, he got so used to our flavored, spiced food, that he actually hated all those gerber pastas and foods (besides the fruits) because they were so bland.

theMama
11-17-2004, 11:49 PM
The only spice that may be an issue is cinnamon. Wholesomebabyfood.com lists cinnamon among the most allergenic foods.

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/allergy.htm

sntm
11-18-2004, 04:49 PM
I had never seen a list, but I just chose to introduce the spices as individual foods, so using the 3 day waiting period. My sister is highly allergic to ginger (which we didn't learn until after years of unexplained asthma attacks in the period following Thanksgiving) so I erred on the side of caution.

Interesting about the cinnamon.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
Breastfeeding 17 months and counting

westchicagomom
11-19-2004, 01:38 AM
I looked and looked for a comprehensive resource for what you are asking and never found anything. So we waited on spices until a year, although we had food allergy concerns.

I agree w/ PP that cinnamon is allergenic and you should probably introduce that later rather than sooner. I also read somewhere that garlic should also be introduced closer to one year or after. I am a big believer in the anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties of garlic so we add that to a lot of her foods now.

Marisa6826
11-19-2004, 06:59 AM
But, oy! The dipes!!! ;)

-m

sadie427
11-19-2004, 10:26 AM
We also didn't wait on spices or garlic (loved grated zucchini sauteed in garlic and olive oil, from about 8 mo) and never had a problem--but we have absolutely no history of food allergies in either family.