PDA

View Full Version : Vitamins for BF babies

Elilly
11-23-2004, 09:57 PM
We were at the ped today for DS's 2 month check-up and his Dr said that the AAP now recommends vitamins. This was not so just two years ago with DD. Are most peds now recommending this? I think we are going to do it b/c we will delay solids until 6 mos as DD has several food allergies. The Dr said the rationale behind it is to ensure that Ricketts and Iron deficiency anemia do not occur.

Elizasmom
11-23-2004, 10:19 PM
My daughter was anemic at her 9 month appt. I believe this was because she rejected most solids and was an extremely large 9 month old despite avg. birth weight. It is hard for their iron stores to keep up with their increasing blood volume as they grow. We had to give her iron three times a day for six months to build back her iron stores - not fun. Anemia is extremely serious in infants because it has been shown to cause permanent cognitive delays. My daughter seems fine, but my next baby will get the vitamins.

missmelis01
11-23-2004, 11:24 PM
My ped didn't recommend vitamins until after 6 months, and she told me I didn't have to be neurotic about giving them (whatever that means!)

HTH!

sntm
11-23-2004, 11:40 PM
The concern for rickets (Vit D deficiency) is largely theoretical, and though there have been some cases lately, they are mostly dark-skinned babies in higher latitudes where sun exposure is minimal, and often with moms who wear clothing that covers them fully. The case report usually cited for why Vit D should be given was actually in a FF baby.

Breastmilk usually provides all the iron needed by babies, at least for the first 6 months or so. Ingestion of other foods (solids, formula, or vitamins) can inhibit absorption of the iron in breastmilk.

I think the AAP is now recommending vitamins early on, but personally I feel this is an overreaction that hasn't been supported by the science, especially since there may be risks to vitamin introduction, since the "inert" substances in vitamins may increase the risk of allergies (though this has only been proven in FF babies.)

Personally, I wouldn't start vitamins until at least 6 months, for the same reason for delaying solids until 6 months. If there is specific reason for concern (location, skin color, signs or symptoms of anemia), then I would have your DS tested for iron and Vit D levels before treating. I started Jack on vitamins only after 12 months.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
Breastfeeding 17 months and counting

Elilly
11-24-2004, 09:18 AM
I had not heard that introducing vitamins at an earlier age increased risk for allergies in FF babies. How confusing for me! Our ped recommended giving vitamins b/c we would be delaying solids until DS is 6 mos b/c DD has food allergies. So which do I do first - give vitamins or start solids? I wonder which is the strongest "inducer" of allergies? Ugh...

stillplayswithbarbies
11-24-2004, 10:35 AM
The solids interfere with the absorbtion of the iron in breastmilk. So if you are delaying solids, then you shouldn't need vitamins. The iron levels will be tested at 9 months, so if for any reason there is a problem you will know then and can start vitamins.

Note that starting solids at 6 months is not "delaying", that is the normal suggested time to start solids now. I didn't start until almost 9 months. And probably could have waited longer.

...Karen
DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/borntobebreastfed2.gif