PDA

View Full Version : Is DS eating too much?

dramamama04
11-24-2004, 11:04 PM
My son is only 2 months and 2 weeks old, but hes already using the advent 9 oz. bottles (We use Avent). I'm worried that he's eating too much and gaing weight too fast. Is there a problem?

JElaineB
11-25-2004, 12:07 AM
You might want to check with his doctor to get a definitive answer on whether his weight gain is appropriate, but if you post some additional information I can try to help. Specifically, is he formula fed, or are you talking about expressed breast milk? How are you feeding him exactly? Do you demand feed or schedule feed? How often is he eating? Do you make him finish his entire bottle or let him eat only what he wants? How many actual ounces is he getting a day? What was his birth weight and what is his current weight?

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

emilye
11-25-2004, 12:08 AM
Is he eating nine oz or did you need to bump up to the larger bottle because he is eating more than the smaller bottle holds?

I do not us advent, but I use platex and the small bottles only hold up to 4 oz. So I was on the big bottle early. My son just turned 3 months and he has been eating 6-8oz per feeding for several weeks. I've been careful about only bumping him up 1 oz at a time when he starts to get hungry less than two hours since he ate last. He usually goes 3-31/2 hours.

How big is he because there is a formula you can use to figure out how many calories and therefore how many oz he should be eating based on weight.

Sounds like we both have big hungry boys.
Get back to me with more detais!
:)
Emily

swampnurse
11-28-2004, 04:09 PM
my son has been drinking 6 ounces of breast milk or formula every 2-3 hours since he was 3 weeks old! The pediatrician promised me he would tell me if the baby was gaining too much weight. he just turned 4 months and is still taking 6-7 ounces of formula every 2-3 hours. he is 17 pounds and in the 99th percentile for both height and weight, but not fat. maybe you just have a big hungry baby like i do. i'm planning to start solids very soon!!! just ask your pediatrician.

alyssa