PDA

View Full Version : He won't eat anything on a spoon!

todzwife
12-04-2004, 11:26 AM
Is this a weird phase? I tried giving him his own spoon, but I don't think ANY of it made it to his mouth. And he refuses to have me spoon feed him. If it's on a fork, fine, but NO SPOON! He prefers finger foods...
soft carrots
corn
cheese
diced turkey or chicken
grilled cheese sandwiches
goldfish
cheerios- if he's in the 'mood'
cereal bars

and that's about it...any suggestions or should i just let it be?

kijip
12-04-2004, 12:20 PM
This is the stage between when he starts insisting on self-feeding and before he masters both the fork and spoon. Toby was able to use a fork on his own faster too- he could stab the food with the prongs and that kept the food on the fork as it travelled to his mouth. The spoon was abbandoned altogether until it just clicked for him on day. Give it time!

divabell
12-04-2004, 01:42 PM
We've been in this phase for at least 3 months. I forget when it started exactly. Every once in a while I try something on a spoon and he'll eat a couple bites and then nada. So we stick with finger foods and everyone is happier!

nwaddellr
12-04-2004, 06:03 PM
For a spoon, you need to go with thicker foods that will stick to the surface of the spoon. Think applesauce or yogurt. Plus, I've found that if you thicken them with some cereal, they can just as easily be finger foods - messy, but sticky enough to get to the mouth at the end of the spoon or on fingers. Totally normal, though.

Java
12-05-2004, 01:52 AM
I don't know if this will help you, but we got over this problem by using chopsticks. I eat with chopsticks so DS wanted to be fed with them too. This went on for about 6 weeks. Now he's back to being spoonfed and we alternate between spoon and chopsticks.

I also use plastic forks if I'm in a pinch. I guess food tastes better when it's not on a spoon at my house!

Momof3Labs
12-05-2004, 09:04 AM
Sounds pretty normal - Dallin is becoming a toddler! Colin still won't allow us to feed him on a utensil.

So, focus on expanding your repertoire of finger foods.