PDA

View Full Version : Avent Isis vs. Rented Electric Pump (SAHM)

MeredithsMom
12-07-2004, 02:45 PM
Hi ladies---

I was wondering if anyone here had experience with the Avent Isis manual pump, especially in comparison to a rented electric pump. I'm coming to the end of my rental agreement for a Medela Lactina (used for supply issues in the beginning) and am a stay at home mom who only needs an occassional bottle (usually I pump a little after two nursing sessions so I can supplement EBM after nursing in the late afternoon & early evening when supply is low). I may renew, or I may instead purchase an Isis. I love that it's portable too.

I've read many of the reviews online at BabyCenter.com and many people actually experienced a better let down and output with the Isis. This seems remarkable to me since it's a hand pump!

Any real-life experiences out there? I'd love to hear them!

Thanks in advance!

ALLEYCAT
12-07-2004, 04:00 PM
I have used them both and there was no comparison for me. I would not trade my Ameda PY for anything but everyone is different. I work ouside the home full time and double pumping is the only way to go for me. Plus I never got a second let down with the manual.

mamahill
12-07-2004, 07:19 PM
You sound exactly like I was with Ainsleigh. I didn't end up renewing or buying an electric pump. I used the Isis off and on (more OFF) and she never took a bottle. I think part of this was because I was not consistent in pumping/offering bottles. It was just easier NOT to, I thought. And subsequently, I was the only one feeding her until she started solids.

I'll just say that the first thing I thought, "I've GOT to buy one of those this time..." this time was an electric pump. My milk did letdown with the Isis, but not as good. And it wasn't as effective over time. I now have the Purely Yours sitting in my closet. It was the first thing I bought. After the pregnancy test, that is. :)

Some people really like the Isis and it's all they need. For me, my needs have changed!