PDA

View Full Version : Made a Difference for Pumping Moms at my Company

hez
12-10-2004, 04:28 PM
I have a story with a happy ending :)

In June we had an all-day offsite for our division at work (6 or 700 employees). Since there were several pumping moms, I convinced our HR folks to have a private room set up for us to pump in so we could attend. We were meeting in an arena, so they made sure we got a nice luxury box with our own sink/fridge/comfy chairs/etc. Even had its own bathroom.

Next Thursday is our next all-day offsite. I emailed the HR folks this week to remind them that we continue to have pumping moms in the division, and asked about a room for us. The reply was that they already had it taken care of!!! Feels so nice to have made a difference so that our needs are being met without even having to ask :) Some days it's the little victories that make you smile...

Mom2Miri
12-10-2004, 06:14 PM
Little victories like that are so important! I'm sure the other moms (present and future) really appreciate it.

Helen & Mirielle 2/25/03

murpheyblue
12-10-2004, 07:41 PM
Good job mama!

LD92599
12-10-2004, 08:33 PM
Good job! Doesn't something like that just make your day?

Laura
mom to William

http://homepage.mac.com/ld14m

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030305/0/7/0/-5/.png[/url]

momma_boo
12-10-2004, 10:30 PM
That's awesome that you spoke up and got yourselves taken care of.
Kudos also to the HR department for remembering!

tarahsolazy
12-11-2004, 10:41 AM
GO Heather! What a way to work for moms and babes.

sntm
12-14-2004, 04:22 PM
Heather, that is truly terrific! Those "little victories" are the ones that will make the difference in the long run, by changing the paradigm!

Speaking as one who had to pump on the floor of a bathroom stall at the fricken NIH!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
Breastfeeding 18 months and count

hez
12-14-2004, 04:34 PM
I was so beside myself when I got the reply from HR that I had to share it with people who'd understand. Thanks for giving me warm fuzzies!

PS Shannon-- I am flabbergasted thinking about your story! Of all the places you'd think would have somewhere available...

McQ
12-15-2004, 11:10 AM
Way to go Heather! That's awesome. I'm sure those moms were appreciated and kudos to you for getting HR on the ball.

Allison
~ mama to Declan 3.24.03 and Meghan 8.26.04

houseof3boys
12-15-2004, 12:49 PM
You go girl! Heather that is awesome and I hope it continues to make a difference. When I quit my job after Ryan was born, I filled out the exit questionaire and had written all kinds of things about them not being a mommy friendly company and that there was no focus on being a breastfeeding mom to come back to work. I don't think it made a bit of difference, but I felt better writing out some pretty strong thoughts on the subject. I love that *you* made a difference! :)