PDA

View Full Version : Formula and Spitting Up - Kind of Long

TahliasMom
12-11-2004, 03:02 AM
DD is 7 months and we're having to supplement about 50% of DD's milk intake with formula due to DD not wanting to BF anymore. We use to supplement only one feeding with Similac Advance here and there and DD did great with it. The last three weeks DD's has been getting 2-3 bottles/day and spitting up 5-6 times after each bottle. When DD does BFs, she only spits up 1-2 times. She's always had a bit of a reflux problem. We decreased solids and that was not the problem. DD also has two teeth but they already broke through so it's not an issue either.

This week our pedi recommended we switch to Nestle Good Start. DD is now spitting up 3-4 times/bottle. I'm concerned about DD's well being. And fed up with having puke on everything! All her sheet savers/clothes/toys are ruined (squash, peas and other lovely stains) and I'm going broke feeding the local laundrymat.

I called our Pedi again today and she suggested that we go from 4 feedings to 8! guess giver her tummy more time to digest. It's like we're back to the beginning. DD is hating it because she loves to eat and 2 oz every 1 to 1.5 hrs aggravates her. Has anyone dealt with this? Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.

TIA!

sntm
12-14-2004, 04:26 PM
I don't have any specific advice (just hypothesizing), but could it be the bottle, causing excess air? Does she suck on it after the formula is gone? One other thought may be to consider an elemental formula, thinking it could be a milk protein intolerance that is dose-dependent.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
Breastfeeding 18 months and count

TahliasMom
12-14-2004, 04:59 PM
Thanks Shannon. We actually went to see a different Pedi yesterday and she diagnosed DD with silent reflux, which is what I suspected. DD also has a slight milk intolerance but for now the Pedi put her on Enfamil AR and told us to use the Dr. Brown's bottles. She also wanted to give her Zantac but I refused. OMG, a huge difference today! We transitioned DD yesterday and today DD will only spit up 1-2/bottle! I guess all I needed to do what to switch Pedi's. I just feel so bad that DD had to suffer so much for the last month. :(