PDA

View Full Version : Iron

HelenD
12-13-2004, 10:06 AM
DD won't eat much meat and has always refused baby cereals (might as well say all/any gruel type meals). I'm getting protien in her via cottage cheese, cheese, and yogurt. I can get her to eat the ground beef in spagetti or the burger mac cassarole sometimes. But as she is EBF (at 14 months only 2x a day, rest is cow's milk), I'm a little worried about her iron. She is pale and her big toe toenails are flat looking. I see no sign of fatique, however. ; >

Any suggestions on what to give her to help w/ iron until she goes for her 15 month well visit mid-January? I give her raisin bread, and lots of cut up fresh red grapes. She's abandoned Cheerios and we haven't found any other cereal she'll substitue.

I got some blackstrap molasses thinking I'd make some cookies or something w/ it, but I haven't found ANY recipes that use it. Anyone have any? Or know how I can add that to what she will eat to add some iron?

TIA.

Helen

pritchettzoo
12-13-2004, 01:27 PM
Here's a link: http://www.keepkidshealthy.com/nutrition/iron_requirements.html

If she's 14 mos, you could give her "grown-up" cereal as a finger food/snack. One site said bran flakes and Kix had really high iron levels, but you could check the sides of the boxes.

Does she like beans? My DD loves them; they're easy (rinse and drain), and they're high in iron.

Also, you might want to substitute her cow's milk (which is very low in iron) for iron-fortified formula if you are really concerned. But you could also take her in to the doctor to get her iron levels checked if you don't want to wait another month.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and One More (coming July '05)

papal
12-13-2004, 01:31 PM
I think spinach and bananas have iron? Not sure. I always thought spinach did. We just put the frozen stuff in her lentils.

JElaineB
12-13-2004, 01:41 PM
If you are really concerned, what about an infant's vitamin supplement with iron?

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

HelenD
12-13-2004, 01:53 PM
Jennifer,

I think the infant vitamins w/ iron are all prescription. Do you know of any that aren't? I will probably have the pediatrician check it mid-January so if she needs it, I'm sure the Dr. will prescribe it. BUT, DD is already on a daily dose of a medicine for Urinary Reflux. I'd like to avoid if at all possible having to give her more "medicine" daily.

Helen

Edited for my awful spelling

Saartje
12-13-2004, 02:04 PM
DH and I love these. They're really good frozen; just pop them in the microwave for a few seconds to thaw them and have them warm. I'm giving it as written, but we double the ginger; blackstrap molasses should work just fine.

3/4 cups shortening
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 cup sugar

Cream shortening and sugar in a medium bowl. Add molasses and egg and beat well. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves, and ginger. Add half the flour mixture to the creamed mixture, mixing well. Add the rest of the flour mixture and beat until well combined. Chill dough for at least an hour. Shape the chilled dough into 1" balls, roll in sugar and put 2" apart on baking sheets. Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes for soft cookies, or 15 minutes for crisp cookies. Remove from cookie sheet and cool. Makes 4 dozen.

jc16bergman
12-13-2004, 02:47 PM
There is a variety of Stonyfield Farms' Yo-Baby Yogurt called Yo-Baby Plus (I believe that's the name). It contains an apple-cereal puree on the bottom that you mix into the yogurt and contains as much iron as a serving of baby cereal. It tastes really good, too, and if your daughter is already eating yogurt, it may be worth a try. The only place I've seen this type of Yo-Baby sold is at Whole Foods.

Julie

miki
12-13-2004, 03:00 PM
I've also seen this yogurt plus cereal Yobaby. But at my regular supermarket, Harris Teeter. The packaging was lime green. You can't miss it.

californiagirl
12-13-2004, 03:50 PM
DD never ate rice cereal straight, and always was better with finger food than purees. However, she would eat carrot-ginger soup thickened with rice cereal. Gerber also makes iron-fortified toddler crackers.

Java
12-13-2004, 09:34 PM
I give Kael Cream of Wheat - great source of iron and I make it with whole milk so he's getting calcium too. Add a bit of brown sugar and 1/2 a mashed banana, it's a great breakfast item. I do the same with Quaker's Oatmeal (the 1 minute stove top kind).

His iron level went up at his 12m appointment from his 9m appointment so it must be helping!

HTH

audys
12-13-2004, 10:25 PM
Hi Helen,

Since 6 months of age, my pediatrican recommended Poly-Vi-Sol with iron for my DS. I buy it over the counter at the pharmacy (even HEB grocery stores have it). He takes it as a part of the bedtime routine and it's easy to give...

Audrey, mother to Graham

http://lilypie.com/baby1/050210/3/15/1/+10/.png (http://lilypie.com)

Emmas Mom
12-13-2004, 10:48 PM
DD also gets Poly-Vi-Sol & I've seen it at just about every grocery store. It's by Enfamil. It doesn't taste too bad so I usually give it to her "straight up" but you could also mix it in with a bottle or food. We also give DD the Yo Baby cereal yogurt. She loves it & it's a great source of Iron. I usually buy it at our Super Wal-Mart. :)