PDA

View Full Version : What does your toddler eat for breakfast?

ged
07-20-2006, 12:15 AM
My DD is almost 17 months and we still eat "baby" cereal every morning. I usually put some prunes (or apricot, and sometimes banana) in it as well, and every other day, I add an egg yolk to the mix. We can't do scrambled eggs yet, since she still has a minor rxn to egg whites.

I am feeling like I need to start adding more to her breakfast, but not sure what to do. I give her yogurt pretty much every day, but it's for a snack.

What do you give your toddler?

julieakc
07-20-2006, 12:50 AM
DS's typical breakfast is cereal (cheerios or rice krispies) and a banana (whole or half depending on how big it is and how hungry he is). Lately he's also been having a little bit of toast (plain) too.

We've been doing regular cereal since around your DD's age...can't remember exactly when we switched, but before that I had been doing the Gerber Flakes which has more texture than the baby cereal.

Sometimes he gets a couple of mini pancakes or a french toast stick instead of the cereal. And sometimes he gets avocado instead of the banana.

I have fed him eggs (no allergies here), but he hasn't fully taken a liking to them so it's rare. Plus I'm still waking up so who wants to scramble an egg? ;)

IKWYM though I feel like DS is in a lunch rut, but then again I myself am a creature of habit myself and don't have much variety in my own diet. :-)

lilycat88
07-20-2006, 05:55 AM
Cold cereal, oatmeal, toast (sometimes with cheese), biscuits with apple butter or a fruit spread, waffles (Vans has an egg free version), sausage links (LOVES the sausage links!), cereal bars, pancakes or french toast, rice with raisins and milk, fresh fruit.

I think that just about covers everything we do. This is a current list but she was eating all of this at 16-17 months as well. The favorites are biscuits with apple butter and sausage links.

Jamelin
Mom to Susanna born 6/29/2004

hillview
07-20-2006, 06:13 AM
DS is 1 yo
Depending on the day he gets some combination of:
Egg w/ cheese
Turkey slice
Cheese slice
Various fresh fruit
Organic toddler cereal bar
Cheerios (dry)
Veggie Bootie
Leftover cooked veggies from the night before

Other then the egg which is our typical meal, most of the rest of what I feed him isn't breakfast food per se.
HTH
/hillary

nfowife
07-20-2006, 07:25 AM
lately it's a few mini pancakes (2-3), 1/2 banana, and some blueberries, and milk.

dhano923
07-22-2006, 03:22 AM
You can scramble just the yolks -- I used to do that for DS when he was 10-11 months old. I also used to make him french toast with just the yolk (and milk and cinnamon).

DS at that age loved french toast, oatmeal, toast with butter and jam, yogurt with chopped berries mixed in, homemade smoothies and the scrambled egg yolks. I used to mix in grated cheese with the egg sometimes for more flavor.

kboyle
07-24-2006, 06:15 PM
both boys eat the same breakfast right now (charlie, 3 & max 1 next week)
soooo, each ds gets:
1-1.5 waffles ( http://www.dewafelbakkers.com/ ) absolutely AWESOME waffles they sell in our grocery store :) :) gets 2 smiles from my boys! i get a few pkg at a time but we've always got chocolate on hand, then i mix it up with either reg or blueberry

1/2 banana, few slices of peeled apple slices, few cubes of watermelon, honeydew or cantelope, blueberries or strawberries (we are a big fruit family)

cereal bar

french toast

scrambled eggs (whole egg, we have no allergies & max has been fine since i intro'd them a month & half ago)

if i feel up to it, i might try to make sausage or bacon, but that RARELY happens

bowl of oatmeal (though max isn't a big fan yet)

cheerios (in milk for charlie), kix, kashi mighty bites, charlie also likes honey bunches of oats

yogurt in cup for max & a gogurt for charlie

*mainly a carb, a fruit & a dairy* if i give milk then i'll skip the yogurt & give at lunch time, if i give yogurt i'll give juice & give charlie milk at lunchtime* max gets 6oz milk at every meal