PDA

View Full Version : Nursing problems at 9 1/2 months?

sethsmom
07-20-2006, 06:16 AM
It hurts to nurse, and has for the past week or so. He doesn't bite, but he likes to pull toward the end instead of keeping well latched on. Is it his new teeth, does it have something to do with my having stopped pumping during the day, or something else? BTW - I have checked myself and DS and can find no signs of thrush. Any ideas on the problem or how to fix it? I don't think I'm ready to wean yet, but it's a struggle when this hurts so bad after so many good months of happy nursing.

pinkmomagain
07-20-2006, 08:32 AM
Rachel, Sorry no advice, but misery loves company. I am in the exact same boat as you. My nipples are so sore and one has a crack that continues to bleed and never quite heals, depite the fact that I always start on the better breast first to avoid that initial vigorous feeding. It seems that Mia is nursing an awful lot for comfort due to teething, particularly overnight and I think that may be doing it for me. I am trying to stay awake to let her nurse for just a couple of minutes, but I usually fall asleep and she stays attached for most of the night.

I hope you get some helpful replies....I'll be watching this thread.

Gina
Mia 10/3/05 and two big sisters

Rachels
07-20-2006, 08:37 AM
Babies often pull like that to increase supply. Maybe your supply has dropped since you stopped pumping?

-Rachel
Mama to Abigail Rose
5/18/02
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif
Nursed for three years!

and Ethan James
10/19/05
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/bf.jpg

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya

writermama
07-20-2006, 11:27 AM
DD is doing the same thing these days, and it's agony, so I can sympathize. In DD's case, it's almost certainly a response to a very limited supply, as the PP suggested.

You might try a mild galactagogue like Mother's Milk tea from Traditional Medicinals (fennel, aniseed, coriander, blessed thistle, and fenugreek). I used to drink it every morning before getting pregnant again (it's a no-no during pregnancy, though) because I liked the taste and it was just relaxing. My mom also swears that any warm liquid like tea, whether it's specifically for mother's milk or not helps with let down.

Of course, you could also try a glass of wine for the evening session -- it may not help with supply or latch problems, but it will help you not mind so much. ;)

My memory is fuzzy, but I think we went through a similar painful latch issue with teething, but then again, my DD was a biter (usually in her sleep, so it wasn't intentional but it still hurt!). Lanisoh cream was my good friend at that time. I also would stop nursing and correct the latch when I noticed a problem.

It does get better. Good luck!

maestramommy
07-20-2006, 11:31 AM
Hmmm, Dora is 3 days older, and she does the same thing. She likes to pull on the nipple, while pushing at me. No idea why, but it does hurt a little. I usually pull her hand away so the opposing forces aren't so great. Or I delatch her.