PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever tandem nurse?

punkrockmama
07-21-2006, 09:44 PM
I'm pregnant and my son is still nursing. Not often, just twice a day. Once on his first wake up in the morning (Sometimes he'll go back to sleep. If he does, he dosen't nurse again when he wakes up the second time), and then once before his afternoon nap.

My OB has no opinion other than a little surprise that I'm doing it.

It's not as bad as I thought. It was rough in the very beginning because my boobs were so sore. But now it's sweet. He'll nurse and have his had on my belly. Then kiss my belly and say "Me share nummies with you baby."

He dosen't seem to have any desire to give up the boob anytime soon. It looks like I'll be nursing two. Or maybe Peyton will wean when the baby is born and I'm nursing the baby around the clock like I did with him. :) I don't know??

Anyone BTDT and care to share?

Thanks.

deenass
07-21-2006, 10:06 PM
LLL publishes (or at least sells) a book called "Adventures in Tandem Nursing" which has gotten some good reviews.

If you contact a local LLL you will likely find some tandem nursers as well.

buddyleebaby
07-21-2006, 10:49 PM
I haven't yet, but I know there are some mamas here who have because I asked this same question a few months back! ; )

My dd is 13 months old and #2 is expected in two months. I really don't anticipate her weaning anytime soon, so we too will be tandem nursing.

punkrockmama
07-23-2006, 01:45 AM
>I haven't yet, but I know there are some mamas here who have
>because I asked this same question a few months back! ; )
>

Ah, off to do a search then (I really need to start doing that before I post something).

Rachels
07-23-2006, 06:39 AM
Yep, grab the aforementioned book! Also do a search at MDC-- lots of tandem nursers there. I would have tandem nursed if Abby hadn't weaned while I was pregnant.

-Rachel
Mama to Abigail Rose
5/18/02
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif
Nursed for three years!

and Ethan James
10/19/05
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/bf.jpg

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya

punkrockmama
07-23-2006, 04:01 PM
>Also do a search at MDC--
>lots of tandem nursers there.

What is MDC? I googled it but didn't come up with anything about breastfeeding.

kijip
07-23-2006, 04:43 PM
MDC is the message boards on the Mothering magazine site. It stands for Mothering Dot Commune. A larger community in general, and more skewed towards the tandem nursing demographic. Lots of helpful information on breastfeeding and more complicated breastfeeding situations- tandem, multiples, induced lactation etc.

writermama
07-24-2006, 06:09 PM
I'm currently nursing while pregnant. If you have any questions, ask away (though I'm also due at any moment, so I might be offline for a while -- email me if you ask something).

My general advice:

1. Get a copy of Adventures in Tandem Nursing. Great book, tons of information. Good at presenting many different women's different experiences. Helpful if you want to continue nursing, also helpful and supportive if you decide to stop. Helpful with information on how to nurse 2 at once if you end up doing it.

2. Drink lots of water. More than you drink for being pregnant. More than you drink for nursing normally. IME, at least, almost all of the negative symptoms of nursing while pregnant were worse or only occurred when I didn't drink enough water.

3. Rest whenever you can -- just generally a good idea for a pregnant mom anyway.

4. Eat really, really well. Eat enough to support your nutritional needs while nursing and pregnant (good info on this in Tandem Nursing book), and take supplements as needed.

5. No Mother's Milk Tea or Fenugreek while pregnant. You might already know this, but these are contraindicated for pregnancy. If supply dwindles, your choices are limited to drinking more water, resting more, and watching out for things that diminish supply (too much B12, I think, was one possibility listed in the book.

6. Did I mention drink lots of water? Really. I mean it.

Good luck,

punkrockmama
07-27-2006, 08:43 PM
Finally! I've been trying to post for ages. The boards have been super slow for me and often timing out.

Thank you all for your replies! I hear ya on drinking water. I carry a water bottle with me everywhere these days. I'm always thirsty and drinking. I'll check out those books and thanks for explaining what MDC is.

:)

mum1day
07-29-2006, 03:29 PM
I tandem nursed my DD while pregnant; only to get to bed and nap. Get Andventures in tandem nursing--great book. My midwives were very supportive and encouraged me to eat for three--lots of healthy fats.

Sadly, my DD weaned on her own when I was four months pregnant.

Good luck!

new_mommy25
07-29-2006, 08:50 PM
I am. My DS will be 3 in September and DD is almost 3 months. Defenitely get Adventures in Tandem Nursing. Adventures in Gentle Discpline is also a great book if you are at all intersted.

My milk dried up shortly after I became pregnant. Well, at least I think it did because I would squeeze and nothing would come up. It didn't seem to bother DS though it was a tad uncomfortable for me. At about 5 months Colostrum came in and the discomfort went away. Right before DD was born DS was one nursing once a day - before bedtime. When my milk came in it was like heaven to him. He went from nursing once a day to asking me all day long for milk. Luckily, since he is older, it is very easy to set limits. He can only nurse upstairs and he is good when I tell him "just for a minute". Feel free to reply to me or PM if you have any other questions.