PDA

View Full Version : What do you count as a "feeding?"

wencit
07-22-2006, 04:36 PM
Would you count a 5 minute snack as one feeding? And how long do you have to wait before one feeding is considered separate from another? These days, DS pops off the breast and then fusses or looks around, so I'm often left wondering if he just had a feeding or not.

I guess I'm worried about DS getting the required "at least 7 times in a 24 hour period" feedings. The past couple of days, he's only nursed about 6 times. I keep trying to get him to eat more, but he'll only stay on each breast for maybe 5-10 minutes before fussing or looking around. Am I in danger of losing my supply?

jillc
07-22-2006, 07:30 PM
Hi Erica,

I wouldn't worry about your supply - as long as you're feeding on demand, you'll be fine.

I would consider one feeding separate from another if there was an hour or more between the sessions.

Maybe your DS has become a more efficient nurser & is getting more in a shorter period of time. My DD would rarely nurse for more than 12 minutes. I always had a strong supply & my DD was always a big girl.

No worries as long as you're meeting your DS's needs. Who knows, tomorrow he may ramp up his demand & want to nurse all day. These little ones sure keep us guessing, don't they? ;)

Best,
Jill

JTsMom
07-22-2006, 07:57 PM
I agree- I wouldn't worry. At this point your supply is well established, and it's really common for babies to get more efficient at about that age. Just watch the diapers, and try not to stress. I would count 10 mins as a feeding fwiw. Whenever ds's dr would ask how many times a day, I'd have to make something up b/c I never knew what officially counted either. :)

Momof3Labs
07-22-2006, 08:16 PM
I would advise that you stop counting feedings altogether. Feed on demand (which it sounds like you are doing) and just keep an eye on his diaper output (again, no need to count, but if he isn't wetting diapers regularly through the day, there may be a problem). Also, as long as he is bright and active and gaining weight, he is getting enough. And as long as he's getting enough, it is *highly* unlikely that you would lose your supply.

Some babies can get all they need in 3-5 minute nursing sessions throughout the day. Some nurse for 15-20 minutes or more.

It does help at this age to nurse in a quiet, dark place so that they stay focused longer.

bensmom
07-22-2006, 10:38 PM
I agree with the PP's. I also wanted to add that you might not need 7 feedings in a day. My DS is the same age (actually, one day younger) and only eats around 5 times a day (I'm blessed with a great nighttime sleeper). He seems happy, wets plenty of diapers and is growing well.

HTH!

wencit
07-23-2006, 12:02 AM
Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you! You really set my mind at ease. Those nursing books imply that I can't sustain my son on less than 7 feedings per day, so I was quite worried for a while.

He makes plenty of wet diapers throughout the day and is currently in the 90th percentile for both height and weight, so I guess my body is doing something right! And Lori, I do try to nurse him in a dark, quiet room, but I guess even dark rooms are fascinating to him at this age. :)

Thanks again!