PDA

View Full Version : Help with drinking water or liquid/1-year-old

sidmand
07-25-2006, 07:28 PM
We transitioned DS to a sippy cup pretty easily...and to whole milk. But he's only drinking milk (and way too much) and because of that a) not eating very much and b) not drinking any water or anything but milk! I am mixing the milk with drinkable yogurt and some water, but it's still mostly milk. He's probably drinking about 40 oz a day! I try everything else first, but milk ends up being what he goes for. He'll pick at other things, but that's about it.

Water isn't working and I don't know what else to try. I didn't want to do juice because of the sugar (I'm diabetic and just figured if there was no good reason I wouldn't go there) but I've even tried mixing water with juice, even doing juice straight up and so far he takes a quick sip and once he figures out it isn't milk it's no thank you. We've tried apple juice and the V8 fusion that is like OJ. I think we might have tried cranberry juice too.

He did take water from me from a straw (I closed my finger over the end and then put the other end in his mouth). But that's very time consuming and not so practical. We've tried a sippy cup, a straw cup, various sippy cups...I'm thinking about trying water in a bottle and seeing if that will work, but I don't really want to go back to the bottle and I'm not so sure he cares what the outside packaging is.

He's still hydrated--crying, drooling, etc. But his poops have always been kind of formed (and getting worse). And today was the first time they even seemed to hurt him. So I need to get more liquid in him...any other suggestions?

Debbie
http://b2.lilypie.com/BI7Tm5.png

nfowife
07-25-2006, 08:09 PM
Hmm, not sure what to suggest. DD gets milk at wake up and meals only. All other times she gets water. She's had juice 3 times and can take it or leave it. DD always seems to drink the most water when we are out and about. She generally drinks 15-20 oz. of milk a day, more or less (if I offered it more she would certainly drink it). I always have a straw cup of water with us when we leave the house and that's what DD gets (I put it in the shopping cart with her, if it's super hot in the car I give it to her in her carseat, etc.).

overcome
07-25-2006, 08:22 PM
No experience but could you try one of those water bottles that have a top that pulls up that he could squirt the water in his mouth? I'm talking about regular water bottles for adults. Do you know the type I am talking about? They may be referred to as "sport" bottles....

ETA...After rereading I see you are mixing the milk with some yogurt and water. Could you mix half water and half milk and gradually decrease the milk and increase the water? Maybe if he sees the "white" of the milk he'll drink it.

Good luck!

Radosti
07-26-2006, 08:32 AM
I know I kept trying water for my DS since he gets constipated otherwise and he HATED it. Then, I offered him some ice cold water with ice in the NUBY cup and he loved it. Apparently, the room temp water I was offering was yucky. Now, he's even enjoyed breastmilk from the fridge in his NUBY cup. I guess when it's hot out, everyone likes something cold.