PDA

View Full Version : whole milk and constipation

kboyle
07-26-2006, 10:00 AM
ok, so i've been transitioning max to whole milk all month and it seems that if i give him all whole milk (not mixed with formula) he gets SUPER constipated. i went back to 1/2 formula 1/2 milk, but now i'm out of formula and hate to buy more, but he's SUPER constipated...what should i do?

just bulk up on more water?
some pear juice & a thing of baby prunes seemed to do the trick last week, but i was also doing a milk/formula combo.

Wife_and_mommy
07-26-2006, 12:07 PM

kboyle
07-26-2006, 12:21 PM
so you've eliminated milk altogether...he does eat yogurt and cheese fine w/o any problems, i wonder if a lower percentage milk would be better than whole...i guess i could ask the dr since he's got his 1yr appt next week.

thanks! oh, and as for the fear-based withholding, i may be there, he hasn't pooped in 2 days, BUT he doesn't seem uncomfortable, which he did 2 weeks ago when he was constipated, maybe he just doesn't have to go.

Tondi G
07-27-2006, 05:19 PM
Up the fruits and vegis.... ease back on binding foods... cheese, crackers, rice cereal, rice, bananas. My neighbors son went through this when she switched from formula to cows milk cold turkey. She started giving him an ounce or two of prune juice with 2 or 3 oz of water everyday for a while till his body adjusted to the whole cows milk. I am giving my son 2%.... we did the same with our older child as per our peds recomendation!

Good luck

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

kboyle
07-27-2006, 05:52 PM
so did your friend keep on giving her son whole milk, or did he just stop all together...we've been having softer poops today so...woo hoo, maybe he's adjusting!!

i'll def ask ped about switching to 2%, that may help the problem out some.