PDA

View Full Version : supply issues (again!) or just normal nursing frenzy?

maestramommy
07-26-2006, 05:38 PM
Well last week AF started, and as usual I thought my supply would dip a little. It coincided with this heat wave, and because I was concerned about Dora's diaper output I started nursing her more often, thinking my supply would increase in response. We were nursing 4 times during the day and twice at night. I increased to 6 times a day and twice (sometimes thrice) at night. Well my period ended today and I really don't think my supply has increased at all. It has gotten harder and harder for DD to go to bed. She kept waking abou 40 minutes after falling asleep and I had to nurse her down agian. We thought it was the heat, but last night her room was quite comfy and she just never went to sleep, just get kept crying. Finally I thought what if she's hungry so I gave her a bottle of EBM. She took about 2+ oz and fell asleep with hardly a peep. Woke up again at 11, but that's another story. So then I started thinking has she been hungry all this time?! I assume because of the heat and her teething she had hardly eaten anything for days, just wanted to nurse, but I never felt like I had enough milk. She'd get a letdown, and suck it down, but each session was soooo short. It felt like a complete feeding on both sides took 5 minutes total.

Starting last night I started drinking the Mothers Milk tea again, then pumped at 10pm. I haven't pumped in a couple of weeks, so I was suprised I got 2.5 oz. I thought it might be a good idea to nurse Dora at bedtime like usual, but top her off with a bottle of EBM. Hence my return to pumping.

Now today everytime she's gotten whiny and clingy (literally pulling on me) I've nursed her. The last time I never even got a letdown, and she wasn't swallowing, but she still kept sucking for a few minutes, came off a couple times to play with my nipple, then finally I let her go, and she's happily playing again.

Is this normal behavior? I mean, she used to only feed to hunger, but now it looks like she's nursing for some other reason. I could be thirst, but I offer her water and she does drink it. She is nap deprived today, so I guess it's normal for a tired fussy baby to want to nurse even though they're clearly not getting any milk? And what's happened to my milk?! Has anyone else felt like their supply is disappearing around this time? I am guzzling like a camel and my calorie intake is the same it's always been.

mommyoftwo
07-26-2006, 06:07 PM
It sounds to me like it might be a growth spurt. It certainly won't hurt to do mother's milk tea and make sure you drink plenty of water. If it's a growth spurt, she will be wanting more milk anyway. Her behavior sounds like Linnea when she is having a growth spurt. For a day or two she will want to eat every hour or two around the clock. I always feel like I'm never going to get through it, but eventually she goes back to normal. I would see what happens in the next couple of days. It's okay for her to nurse even if you think she's not getting anything. It's a sign for your body to start producing more milk to catch up to her demand.

maestramommy
07-26-2006, 06:11 PM
Ah, that would make sense. It just seems like she's been on a growth spurt since she was born, if that makes any sense. Yes, she wants to nurse every hour! I'm like, what is going on here you just nurse, AND you just ate some solids AND drank water. But it's as if it never makes any difference. Without bm she's just not satisfied.

mommyoftwo
07-26-2006, 06:20 PM
Yup, both my girls go through stages like that. It used to always confuse me, but I think I finally recognize it most of the time now. Amelia can eat us out of house and home when she is going through a growth spurt. She will eat nonstop for a couple days and then sleep like crazy for a day or two after that. Then we go shoe shopping. Seriously, her feet always grow at least half a size after an episode like this. Once her feet grew two whole sizes in six weeks!

maestramommy
07-26-2006, 06:27 PM
The only thing is that Dora doesn't really get much bigger. Is it possible to go through a growth spurt developmentally rather than in size? She gained less than 2 lbs from 6 to 9 months, but she sat up, belly-crawled and crawling on all fours in that time. Oh yeah, and popped her first 4 teeth.

mommyoftwo
07-26-2006, 07:02 PM
Well, I don't know if it is developmentally per se, but I definitely don't always notice a change in size. It's just that their body needs more food to keep up with their growth. If they are learning new things and doing more, they need more food to provide them with enough energy. For some reason, we tend to get foot growth as well. Nothing else changes dramatically.

DebbieJ
07-26-2006, 10:43 PM
Nursing is not just about nutrition. It's about cuddling with mommy, feeling secure, feeling loved. She just likes to be close to you!

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

maestramommy
07-26-2006, 11:14 PM
ummm okay. But for 2 minutes? It feels kind of funny getting a mommy fix for such a short time, then moving off to play happily. This is (seriously) my first experience with this since she was born.

Oh, I should also ask. Is the Mothers Milk tea effective if after brewing you chill it? In this weather drink hot tea is the last thing I wanna do!

mommyoftwo
07-26-2006, 11:22 PM
I don't know why it wouldn't be. Just make sure you brew it nice and strong with boiling water before you chill it. Which reminds me, I need to go make some for myself. I'm trying to pump enough milk to go away for the night on Friday.

Radosti
07-27-2006, 08:01 AM
Do you think it's just the weather maybe??? Or is my DS going through a growth spurt as well? Normally, I pump 10 ounces a day to donate, 6 oz in am and 4 oz in the pm. Well, yesterday, Aaron nursed at times that he normally would turn up his nose at me, slept more, and then DRAINED both my breasts before bedtime. There was nothing left to pump off. Not that I mind, this is one of the reasons I pump all the time, to keep up my supply for when he needs more that usual.

He also skipped his midnight nursing session last night and the 6am one. So, I am very glad to have that happen. He nursed at 10pm, at 2am, and at 7am. And I just pumped 8oz off and he is napping.