PDA

View Full Version : Ice cream vs. yogurt

duvie
07-28-2006, 02:15 PM
20 month old DS stopped eating yogurt about 6 months ago. I think that he gets a decent amount of calcium, but I have started giving him vanilla ice cream a couple of times a week. I mentioned this to the pediatrician and she said that it wasn't a good idea because of the sugar. I did some comparing and found that the average 1/2 cup of yogurt has 16 + grams of sugar and Breyer's Vanilla has 15 grams. Am I missing something here? Is the ice cream worse because of the preservatives?

BTW, I'm not worried about the fat because DS is a skinny guy.
Thanks for the help!

Hippoharbor
07-29-2006, 10:20 AM
My 17 month old DS still eats 2 cups of yogurt for breakfast each morning, but I also freeze the yobaby organic yogurt tubes and give this to him (break up into chunks) as a popsicle/ice cream treat.

Michelle

Hippoharbor
07-29-2006, 10:20 AM
My 17 month old DS still eats 2 cups of yogurt for breakfast each morning, but I also freeze the yobaby organic yogurt tubes and give this to him (break up into chunks) as a popsicle/ice cream treat.

Michelle

dhano923
07-30-2006, 11:11 AM
Does he take a daily vitamin? If so, then the calcium is not an issue. You can also give him cheese and milk for calcium, or calcium fortified orange juice. Ice cream just isn't one of those vitamine packed food items, KWIM?

I think most kids wouldn't eat yogurt anymore if they knew they could get vanilla ice cream instead! :)

egoldber
07-30-2006, 12:54 PM
There are different kinds of sugars. The ones in ice cream tend to be from sucrose and high frustose corn syrup. The ones are yogurt (depending on the yogurt) are the natural sugars from milk.

I would see if you can get him to eat a natural, full fat yogurt as opposed to the ice cream.

duvie
07-31-2006, 01:16 PM
Thank you for your helpful replies. I will keep trying the yogurt, although he wants nothing to do with it for some reason (perhaps he overdosed on it when he was younger!).

I tried freezing the Stonyfield whole milk yogurt but it was pretty gross... I will try freezing the Gogurts.