PDA

View Full Version : Help! What is happening to my supply?

wencit
07-28-2006, 02:45 PM
So far, my breasts have produced plenty of milk. However, in the past couple of days, I've noticed that they seem to be producing less and less. The other night, DS was screaming in frustration because he was still hungry and almost nothing was coming out. I used to get several letdowns during the course of a feeding session, but now I only get the initial one at latch-on and then maybe another one after about 10 minutes, but that's it. When I pumped yesterday afternoon, I only got about 2.5 oz combined, whereas I'd normally get at least 4 oz combined, usually much more. I know 2.5 oz is not enough to satisfy DS because when he takes the bottle, he usually drinks at least 3-4 oz.

I noticed a couple of you mentioned that at the 4-month mark, your breasts go from working on hormones to working on supply-and-demand. What exactly does this mean and how does that affect milk production? Also, DS has been sleeping through the night, so we've dropped one or two feeding sessions. Could this have an impact on my supply?

What should I do? I've stopped counting the number of feedings and just nursing on demand, but I'm so nervous. I offer DS the breast every time I see him sucking on something, but most of the time, he'll latch on for a few seconds, suck a couple of times, and then refuse the breast. (I think he's discovered his hands and just enjoys sucking on them.) I'm not necessarily worried about DS failing to thrive, but I'm worried about preserving my supply.

Thanks so much for any advice!

jillc
07-28-2006, 03:13 PM
Hi Erica,

Sounds like you're doing everything right - nursing on demand & offering when it seems that your DS might want to nurse.

Yes, you're right at about the time when your body adjusts to your baby's demand. I always felt like I had too much milk for the first several months (and huge boobs!) & then right around 4 months, the super-producing stopped. I always had enough, but I was no longer walking around with giant, full breasts all the time. Once I got through the initial "oh, no! what is happening to my supply?" phase, it was quite nice.

Since you've dropped a couple of night feedings recently, your body will stop producing so much at night b/c the demand is no longer there.

Sometimes it takes your body a few days or so to figure out how much & when to produce.

Keep nursing on demand, and you will be just fine. ;)

HTH,
Jill

firstbaby
07-28-2006, 04:40 PM
I agree with the PP - you are doing all of the right things.

I know it can be stressful while nursing if you feel like you are having supply issues but relaxing may help you let down easier. Also, the pump is never as efficient as a baby so don't judge what you are pumping as that is what DS is getting.

Your supply could be adjusting to what DS needs, DS could be going through a growth spurt, you could be getting AF back soon, the membranes on your pump may need to be replaced - all possible culprits. As long as you are nursing on demand your supply will pick up as it needs to for DS.

MonicaH
07-28-2006, 09:09 PM
I just wanted to mention that, in addition to what the PPs told you, it is normal to not be able to feel your letdowns as much after a few months. Check out www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/breast-fullness.html

Monica

wencit
07-29-2006, 12:12 AM
Thanks for your replies so far.

Is it normal for DS to whine after latching on and taking a few sips? It seems like sometimes there is not enough milk for him, and he gets very frustrated at the slow flow (especially in the evenings, when I have been nursing him all day). I don't know if I should do something to quickly get my supply up enough for him to be satisfied. Last night, DH wanted to supplement with some frozen EBM we had, but I refused because I figured that would start down a vicious cycle of supplementing and then having my supply drop even further. How long will it take my body to adjust? A couple days?

Gosh, this is so nerve-wracking!

jillc
07-29-2006, 10:21 AM
Hang in there!

It could be that with your supply adjusting to DS's needs & maybe not super-producing as we often do with newborns, your milk is not coming out as fast & strong. Like a pp said, I can remember that I stopped feeling the fast, hard let-downs & the flow seemed to slow a bit. Your DS is probably adjusting to that. He and your body will get it all figured out soon.

I agree w/you. I wouldn't supplement. Just keep letting him nurse. I know evenings can be tough b/c sometimes you feel like there's no milk left after nursing all day. But it's there & more nursing will increase your production then.

Yep, a couple days to adjust.

Oh, I got my period back around 2-3 months post-partum & I noticed a supply dip a few days before it started. Could be that, too. Who knows? Luckily, that was the only period I had until DD was 17 months old. :)

Keep at it.
Jill

jillc
07-29-2006, 10:21 AM
Hang in there!

It could be that with your supply adjusting to DS's needs & maybe not super-producing as we often do with newborns, your milk is not coming out as fast & strong. Like a pp said, I can remember that I stopped feeling the fast, hard let-downs & the flow seemed to slow a bit. Your DS is probably adjusting to that. He and your body will get it all figured out soon.

I agree w/you. I wouldn't supplement. Just keep letting him nurse. I know evenings can be tough b/c sometimes you feel like there's no milk left after nursing all day. But it's there & more nursing will increase your production then.

Yep, a couple days to adjust.

Oh, I got my period back around 2-3 months post-partum & I noticed a supply dip a few days before it started. Could be that, too. Who knows? Luckily, that was the only period I had until DD was 17 months old. :)

Keep at it.
Jill

wencit
07-30-2006, 04:16 PM
Thanks, Jill! I really appreciate your reply. It seems like more milk is coming in today, and DS isn't as frustrated at the breast. We'll see what happens tonight, when my supply is usually the lowest. It's so hard to have blind faith in my boobs! :P

Thanks again!