PDA

View Full Version : Medela breastshield sizing?

JenDC
07-28-2006, 09:37 PM
I think I need bigger breastshields than the standard size that comes with the pump. I looked at the video on the Medela site, and it still isn't clear to me which size I should get- large or XL. I'd hate to buy one and then need the other! Supposedly, if your nipples are smaller than a quarter, you should get large, and that's true for me- but I'd like to hear from someone who has tried these sizes!

Jen
mom to Shoshana Danielle 3.29.06

shilo
07-29-2006, 12:01 PM
it's been a while, but i'm pretty sure the lac. consultant had me get the XL, her reasoning at the time being something like "if you buy the L and they're not big enough, you have to buy the XL. if you buy the XL, they'll fit either way." i haven't checked out their site, so i'm not sure if they mean the actual nipple is as big as a quarter (mine are/were definitely not) or the nipple plus areola, in which case, more like a silver dollar in the beginning, and closer to a fifty cent piece now if that makes sense?

anyway, the other thing the lac. cons. recommended to me which made more of a difference than shield size for me was lubricating the nipple with a little EVOO (olive oil) before pumping. this made pumping _so_ much more comfortable for me.

lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

anamika
07-31-2006, 06:13 PM
I bought both L and Xl (there was a store close by) and I think the L would have been fine but I didn't feel thet the XL was too huge. SO I would size up like the PP says. I've heard of people using lanolin on the edge of the sheild to increase suction and lubrication.
HTH,

BaileyBea
08-01-2006, 09:21 PM
These shields actually have size numbers on them. I had to buy a bigger one too.

I was measured for them at the local BFing supply store. I think I bought a size 27 from a size 24 that the pump comes with. I suggest trying to find a BFing supply store or contacting a lactation consultant whom carries them. They can size you properly.

hillview
08-03-2006, 08:20 AM
I got the XL and was happy. The L rubbed the nips and that wasn't comfortable.
HTH
/hillary

jmtccw
08-04-2006, 12:10 PM
I was referred to someone in our local LaLeche (sp?) club who had a measuring tool,(like a ruler with holes in it to size your nipple!)It was very useful and determined that I needed a large. The new shield was much more comfortable.

Julie