PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of hiccups

kaycee14
08-02-2006, 02:08 PM
My baby gets the hiccups after most feedings. The only advice I've been able to find is to sit her up a little while feeding and to have her eat slower - both of which are supposed to help prevent hiccups from starting. OK... I've tried those. She's already a grazer, taking an hour to eat 2 ounces, so I don't know how much slower we can go. :)
The only "advice" I can find on getting rid of hiccups once they start is that they won't hurt the baby and the baby doesn't actually mind having them. Obviously they never met my baby. I could tell she hated them before she was even born. Nope, I'm not kidding. Part way through a bout she will be screaming and kicking in frustration. Since a bout usually lasts 15 to 25 minutes, that's a lot of frustration for a tiny one and a lot of missed sleep for mommy.

Have you found anything that gets rid of hiccups - even just sometimes? Please share your ideas.

Kathy
Mommy to a brand new baby girl
http://b1.lilypie.com/IX8zm7.png

Momof3Labs
08-02-2006, 03:55 PM
Nursing gets rid of hiccups - for the baby, not the mama, of course! Wish I knew that with DS1!

daniele_ut
08-02-2006, 04:16 PM
DS had hiccups constantly in utero and that didn't end once he was born. He had hiccups 4-5 times daily for the first 6 months when he seemed to outgrow them. It seemed to coincide with learning to sit up and tolerating being on his belly for longer periods, but before then, nothing much helped him. I feel your pain. The hiccups weren't as bothersome for DS as his reflux was. He had them while nursing as well, and nursing didn't make his go away either.

randomkid
08-02-2006, 10:27 PM
I am right there with you! DD absolutely hated the hiccups even in utero. She would get them daily (often more than once a day) when I was pregnant and would just start squirming like crazy until they stopped. She even got the hiccups in the birth canal! I was starting to push and we heard this "thump...thump...thump" on the fetal monitor and I laughed out loud and yelled, "She's got the hiccups!" They did stop in the process of pushing her out.

Getting to the point, she also hated them when she was an infant. You'll think I'm crazy, but Colic-Ease worked like a miracle!

http://www.colicease.com/

I would give her 1-3 ml and they would stop instantly. It says on the bottle that it works for hiccups, so I tried it. It worked almost every time! My family thought I was nuts until they saw it for themselves. I would give her 1 or 2 ml and if that didn't work, I'd give a little more. The dosing is on the label. I can only think of a couple of times that it didn't work and I wouldn't give more because I would have exceeded the dose. It did become less effective as she got older, but by then they didn't bother her anymore, so I stopped using it.

I highly recommend it and it's different than other gripe waters. I tried another one once and it didn't work at all for the hiccups.

Good luck and HTH,

elephantmeg
08-03-2006, 03:55 PM
I used gas drops (mylicon). They seemed to help

Tondi G
08-03-2006, 05:52 PM
we had great success with Gripe Water for Hiccups after reading on the package that they reccomend it for them! DS would get them and often I would only give him half the dosage and his hiccups were gone! I figured it couldn't hurt him... probably helped with Gas too! LOL

I got my Gripe water from Whole Foods, the brand is Wellements and it's made with organic ingredients!

HTH's you!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

kaycee14
09-05-2006, 10:23 PM
Thanks to Kim and Tondi for the Gripe Water suggestion! I purchased some and it's worked great. I'd tried all sorts of other suggestions - sugar on the tongue, water in a bottle, water in a spoon, even a drop of whiskey on the tongue (yes, I was desperate). Nothing worked. So far the Gripe Water has worked all but once.
THANK YOU! I wish I'd tried it sooner.
Kathy
Mommy to a wonderful baby girl
http://b1.lilypie.com/IX8zm7.png

randomkid
09-07-2006, 12:15 AM
So glad it worked for you and your little one! I hated to see DD so miserable with those hiccups. At least you discovered something that works this early on. Pretty soon, they won't bother her at all (I think DD was about 5-6 months when they didn't seem to bother her anymore).

Canna
09-07-2006, 02:38 PM
I also found nursing to be the miracle hiccup cure. DD had a lot of hiccups in utero and after birth!