PDA

View Full Version : Pumping frequency

seeks1
08-03-2006, 09:50 AM
I am thinking about trying to just pump twice a day at work instead of 3 times. I am currently pumping after DS eats in the morning and getting anywhere from 4-6 oz. Then I pump 3 times at work and usually get about 12 oz total. Do you think I could get the 12 oz if I only pumped twice? I would be more relaxed if I only had to do it twice. What do you think?

Also, I need to be flexible on when I pump. Will that effect my output? Some days I can pump twice in the am and once in the afternoon and others I just pump once in the morning and twice in the afternoon.

TIA for any input.

BayAreaMom
08-03-2006, 10:05 AM
I posted a question like yours a few weeks ago- search for Pumping AND Schedule and you'll find it.

I found it pretty hard to pump 3x/day at work and 2x is much more managable. However, i did notice a drop in my total output. Usually 3x i would get 5 oz each time, for a total of 15 oz. But with 2x i just get 6-7 oz each time, for a total of 12-14 oz. My daughter needs 24 oz each day of pumped milk. So, i've been pumping everything out after i feed her in the morning, which usually nets me 10-12 oz total (she is not a big eater first thing in the morning, and my supply peaks then). I also sometimes pump at 9 pm before i go to bed and sometimes get 6-10 oz then if she's been a light evening eater.

I am not sure about your other question- but once a week i do pump 3x because i have a 2 hr meeting during my 10 am pumping time. I've found if i pump too often (i.e. more than every 3 hours), i just don't get that much and i feel like i just wasted my time.

Anyways, the best way is just to experiment with a new schedule for a few days and see what works best for you since everyone's supply is different.

elephantmeg
08-03-2006, 03:52 PM
I've dropped from 3x shift pumping to 2x pumping and added another pump session in at home. So if I work in the morning I pump after I feed him, then pump twice at work and sometimes at bedtime. If I work in afternoon I feed him at 1:30/1:45, pump at 4:30/5:30 and again at 8:30/9:30 and then after I get home around 12:30. I also try to pump twice a day on the days I'm off to keep my "stash" up. I agree 3x in 8-9 hours is just too hard to do!

HTH

HallsofVA
08-05-2006, 12:36 PM
With my son, I ended up only pumping 2x a day at work, and kept it up until he was 13 months old or so. I tried the 3x a day routine in the beginning but found it was taking up so much of my work day, that last pumping session often wasn't effective, and I missed too many lunches! 2x a day was much more sane, and equally productive. Only on days when I had to work really late, or had some evening commitment to go to, did I through in a 3rd pumping session before heading home.