PDA

View Full Version : Planning for Pumping question

psophia17
08-04-2006, 11:37 PM
I'm sure it's been asked many times before, but I'm getting nowhere with my searches (why is that always the way?).

I plan to BF from the get-go, and once engorgement is over I plan to pump 1x per day to build a stash, and if I have the supply I had with DS, to donate to the local milk bank. My gf has offered me her Medela PIS, and if that doesn't happen I'll likely get a mini-electric like I had last time (and which has since gone missing).

Whatever I do, I want it to be fast, easy, and I want one system to cover both the stash and donation needs.

What do the experts at the BBB reccommend?

Momof3Labs
08-05-2006, 07:57 AM
I pump for donation first thing in the AM - even before nursing DS (otherwise he tends to spit up a LOT after that feeding). If it is milk to be donated, it goes into the plastic bottles they gave me and into the freezer. If it is for our stash, it goes in storage bags and in the freezer (occasionally, if I think we'll need pumped milk that day, I'll just leave it in the fridge). Then I rinse all parts and run them through a microwave sterilizer bag.

If you are pumping that much, will the mini-electric be enough? I haven't heard too many good things about it. But you've used it before, so you'd know best.

psophia17
08-05-2006, 11:13 AM
I'd get 8oz or so with the mini-electric when I pumped, so I'm pretty sure it'll be enough if the PIS doesn't come through.

My supply was insane - I'm surprised milk wasn't coming out of my ears...