PDA

View Full Version : Medela Pump in Style Original vs PIS Advanced

PAfirsttimemom
08-05-2006, 11:36 PM
Hi. I'm interested in opinions of these two pumps. I've read some reviews that say the PIS Original allows separate control of speed and suction, and that's why some people like it better than the Advanced. I'd love an explanation of why this may be better. I'm interested in hearing reviews of both pumps from anyone who has experience with them. Thanks.

Diana
Mom to Owen 3/13/06

proggoddess
08-08-2006, 08:29 AM
I have the advanced. I like that it automatically starts out at the "letdown" speed and then I can push one button to change it to "suction" speed. I don't have the hands-free kit, so it's nice that I don't have to fiddle with two knobs.

The salesperson at the lactation supply store said that the Advanced gives you more output in the same amount of time. I don't know if she knows it from personal/customer experience or was just quoting the marketing material. (I suspect the latter.)

I don't have experience with the original style, so I can't give you any info on it.

Momof3Labs
08-08-2006, 08:38 AM
The PIS does everything that the PISA does, you just have to flip two knobs instead of one (I can do this easily, even without a hands-free pumping kit). I used a Medela pump briefly in the hospital with the "letdown" button and didn't like that the length of the letdown cycle was preprogrammed, and honestly didn't work with the length of MY body's letdown cycle (longer than the PISA cycle). In fact, I like the PY even better than the PIS because the range of speed and suction is even greater, allowing me to even better customize it to my body's needs.

If you don't know how to use the PIS properly, then you probably get better output with a PISA. But for me, the PIS is a much, much better pump.

babymama
08-08-2006, 04:29 PM
Hey Lori -

I just noticed your siggie - 625 oz is amazing!!! There should be a ticker for that!

Lydia
Mama to 2 sweet babies

Oh what fun it is to potty train & BF at the same time!

Momof3Labs
08-08-2006, 04:55 PM
Thanks, Lydia!! And I don't envy your siggy - been there, done that (literally - sitting on the bathroom floor nursing DS2 while DS1 sat on the pot)!!