PDA

View Full Version : Formula Allergy?

westgre
08-07-2006, 12:38 PM
I breastfeed DS when he is with me, but I don't pump enough to fill his bottles for daycare. So, I started mixing with Parent's Choice milk based formula, which he did well with for about a month. Then, he developed diarrhea at daycare. He doesn't have diarrhea at home. So I switched to Parent's Choice Soy. Now the diarrhea is even worse. Again, he only has it at daycare, not at home. He has had it when my mom watched him and gave him a bottle of breastmilk and formula mixed. I'm going to try to pump more frequently througout the day, but I'm pretty sure I won't be able to pump enough for my two really long days at work. So, I'll have to use formula some. Which formula should I try next -- a milk based lactose free formula or should I just go for the hydrolyzed formula off the bat?
Oh, how I wish I was a good pumper! I'm using a PISA and average about 3.5 - 4 ounces per pumping session.

Maria K
08-07-2006, 01:06 PM
DS is not able to tollerate regular, milk based formula (got blood in the stool) OR soy (made him very constipated). Many children that can't tollerate milk, also can't take soy. The only thing that works for him is Enfamil Nutramigen. It's expensive, but it keeps him and his little tummy happy.

I would think that if he was allergic to milk (lactose) you would have to cut dairy out of your diet so it's not in your breastmilk... but I don't know... just a thought.

- Maria

Tondi G
08-07-2006, 04:20 PM
I would buy a small can of lactose free and see if that does the trick.... if not then try the Nutramigen!

I never had good success with a pump either!

Good luck

ajrivers
08-08-2006, 06:57 PM
I'm with PP that I would think if it's a milk protein sensitivity then your BM would also bother him if you drink milk, eat cheese, etc. My little guy did have a mild sensitivity so I cut out the majors like straight milk and cheese and switched him to Nutramigen and all was great.

Momof3Labs
08-08-2006, 07:22 PM
I'd suggest pumping every single day, once a day. I've done it before bed with DS1, and in the AM with DS2. Either can work. You will stimulate your supply, and within about a week, notice an increase in output at that pumping session. Then use that extra EBM on the days that you work.

Also, be sure that the pump is following your body's pattern. Don't use the letdown button until you start to get a letdown, and stay in the letdown phase until the letdown is over (the pump will cycle back on its own; I don't know how you restart the letdown phase since I don't use a PISA). After your first letdown, keep pumping until (and through) the second letdown.

I can't help with formula choice, but wanted to throw this out since one option is to try pumping more and eliminate the formula that is bothering his tummy!

DrSally
08-09-2006, 10:32 AM
Another option is Alimentum (Similac's hydrolyzed formula). We use it for the occasional bottle for our BF babie, and he has no problems. He did have hives and vomitting when I tried regular similac, so back to the Alimentum. Also, ask your dr's office for samples when you go, that can help you save some money.