PDA

View Full Version : what kind of cake is good for 1st birthday?

maestramommy
08-09-2006, 05:05 PM
Well, Dora's birthday is in a couple of months, and I'm thinking about the cake. I would really like her to have some of it, but for the moment she is not allowed to eat egg whites. We don't have any food allergies in our family, this is just per our ped's recommendations. My SIL has a reverse Angel Food Cake recipe that uses only egg yolks. Any other ideas? I was also thinking of using chocolate pudding instead of regular frosting, but since she's still on BM can pudding be made with soy milk instead? I was planning on using one of the Jello pudding mixes.

sidmand
08-09-2006, 05:13 PM
Sorry, no recommendations for the cake, but I just wanted to mention what I saw someone here did--the week before the birthday they gave their DD little bits of cake to get her "ready" for her party. I think that's a great idea because DS didn't really want much to do with either cake or icecream at his party (can this be my child?).

He really hadn't had much in the way of sweets up until that time, so I'm not surprised he didn't know what to do with them. He didn't even get all that messy playing with the frosting and cake. I think a lot of the kiddoes play with it more than they eat it, honestly.

But anyway, I thought "prepping" DC was a great way to ease into it so it wasn't so foreign. I'm sure some of the mamas here have some great recipes. Good luck!

Debbie
http://b2.lilypie.com/BI7Tm5.png

kimbe
08-09-2006, 08:10 PM
This cake was actually pretty yummy. (I have tried A LOT of egg less recipes due to my own dietary concerns --- I have made this cake many times!) I can't remember where I got the recipe though.

1/4c butter
1c sugar (I cut this down to 1/2c or less)
1t baking soda
1t cinnamon
1c applesauce
1 1/2c flour

Cream first four ingredients. Stir in applesauce. Stir in flour.

Bake at 350 30-40 minutes. I don't pay attention to the time, I just bake it until the knife comes out clean. (However, if it isn't done, no eggs to worry about anyway! Hooray! And you can lick the bowl!)

Hope this helps!

For frosting, I just made real whipped cream with a little vanilla. However, I seriously thought about pumping BM, letting it sit, taking the cream off the top and whipping that --- I just don't pump so I was too lazy to attempt it!

Good luck.

maestramommy
08-09-2006, 09:09 PM
Wow, this looks great, thanks! In regards to the whipped cream, how to you make whipped cream, and what would you do if you wanted chocolate or fruit flavor?

jgriffin
08-09-2006, 09:25 PM
I made banana bread muffins for E's birthday. I was going to try something new, but then we both got sick, so I stuck with tried-and-true. They were great for his birthday breakfast! For his party, I bought a cake (chocolate mocha...yum!) for the adults, and had the banana bread muffins for the kids. I planned on putting chocolate icing on them for the older kids, but they were too busy playing to ever have cake. :)

Banana Bread

1 egg
3 tablespoons oil
1 cup sugar
4 bananas, mashed (3 will work, too)
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup nuts, optional
1/2 cup chocolate chips, optional

I do this in my Kitchenaid, so you might have to play around with the order of the first few ingredients. I mash the bananas in the mixer, then add the egg, sugar, and oil and mix well. In a separate bowl I mix the flour, baking soda, and baking powder, then add to the banana mixture. If I'm going to add chips or nuts (I didn't for E), they go in last.

Makes 1 9x5 loaf (bake at 350°F for ~60 minutes) or
makes ~24 muffins (bake at 375°F for ~25 minutes)

Jen

maestramommy
08-09-2006, 10:31 PM
Mmmmmmm, this sounds so yummy! I should make them anyway! Dora likes bananas, and it's hard to come up with a starch option for breakfast besides rice cereal. Thanks!

buddyleebaby
08-09-2006, 11:06 PM
Whipped cream is just heavy cream (usually with a little sugar)whipped to the right consistency. If you beat it too long it will start to seperate and turn to butter.
Some people add vanilla extract. Others add a tiny bit of unflavored gelatin for a different consistency.
For chocolate whipped cream, just add unsweetened cocoa powder along with the sugar. I actually forgot to pick some up once and didn;t realize it until I was ready to whip, so I added QUIK mix instead (forgoing the sugar) and it came out just fine.

I've never made it fruit flavored. I just add fresh fruit to the top or middle of the cake.

juliasmom05
08-10-2006, 07:30 AM
We made one like this as well except the recipe I used called for a 1 tsp. nutmeg :-). I made them as muffins and just frosted hers with cream cheese frosting. DD didn't eat much of it, but the cake is actually really good, so I think I ended up eating the rest of them :9.

Marci

Mom to Julia 4/05

juliasmom05
08-10-2006, 07:34 AM
Gelatin added to whipped cream also helps to stabilize the whipped cream :-).

Marci

Mom to Julia 4/05

jennifer_r
08-10-2006, 07:48 AM
Wow, first I can't believe that Dora is about to turn 1! All these BBB babies are growing up.

We actually did an icecream cake for DD. We had just introduced milk and she was fine with it so we thought it would be good to go that route again. It went over well with everyone, especially considering it was August.

Jennifer

Mom to:
Christopher 12/29/89
Adelaide 8/23/04
Bronwyn 11/9/05

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif[/img][/url]

jgriffin
08-10-2006, 08:39 AM
These freeze really well (both in loaf and muffin form), so you can make a batch to have on hand.

millerpjm
08-10-2006, 12:16 PM
Well, this is actually something I heard about in my Weight Watchers meeting...

Diet Soda Cake
1 box cake mix (any flavor)
1 can diet soda

Mix and bake according to the package directions.

The recipe is designed to lower the fat and calories in the cake by not adding any of the eggs or oil. I have made it before, and it turns out a little flatter than a normal cake (because it does not have eggs). Usually you try to mix a dark cake with a dark soda and vice-versa(sp?). For example, chocolate cake mix with a diet Coke, or a yellow cake mix with diet lemon/lime. I usually frost with cool whip.

Hope that helps!

Jennifer