PDA

View Full Version : Too much solids?

DrSally
08-11-2006, 10:31 AM
Hi,

My 7 month old DS was exclusively BF until he started solids at 5.5 months. I waited as long as I could, but he was showing signs a month before that. I still BF and now he gets a meal around noon and 6pm, usually 1/4 cup cereal and an ounce of something else. I want to keep it to 2 meals for a while to make sure he gets mostly BM. I also BF first on and wait 20 min before he eats his solid meal on Dr. Sears recommendation for keeping solids complementary and so that the solids won't interfere with the digestion of the good stuff in the BM. From what I've read, BF first helps them not to overeat b/c the solids can top them off and then they stop when they're full. I also don't do a solids meal in the am, b/c he gets so much BM then, that he is spitting up the extra.

Well, lately, his stomach has felt very full, and almost hard after dinner. He also spits up a lot of food after lunch, and especially dinner. I can tell b/c it has the texture of oatmeal and the color of carrots. I loved BFing exclusively, b/c I knew he could totally regulate his intake. With solids, I try to listen to his "full" cues, but sometimes I think he continues to open his mouth b/c he enjoys the experience and b/c we're offering it. Should I try stopping the meal earlier when he first starts to slow down and look away even if he's still opening his mouth? Should I cut the amount of food I make so I won't be tempted to keep going? Should I lengthen the interval btwn the BF and solids meal? I just felt so bad for him last night when he regurgitated food in his bath and then on his sheets. He's not sick, so I'm pretty sure he was just overly full. Also, I don't want him to associate that stuffed feeling with being satisfied, which can lead to later problems. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Wife_and_mommy
08-11-2006, 10:24 PM
Seeing as solids are just for practice for the first year, I'd stop as soon as his interest waned so you know you're not overfeeding him.

You could also try using sign language with him and asking him if he wants more. Since he's so interested in eating, that should work well for you.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

DrSally
08-12-2006, 07:08 AM
Thanks, I know he's always been a great eater. I've tried using the "eat" and "all done" signs since he started solids, but I don't think he gets it yet. I will be glad when he can start to use them. I gave him less food for each meal yesterday and stopped when he started to slow down, so he didn't even finish what I gave, and he regurgitated a lot less.

Wife_and_mommy
08-13-2006, 01:48 PM
Glad it's a bit better. :)

The SL might take a couple more months but it will be SO worth it when he one day starts signing to you. I think I did a back flip when DD did it. :P

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]